Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting done after 3 days??

Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermenting done after 3 days??

Ok, so my first batch of beer is a Brewers Best American Micro Pale Ale. I brewed Monday night and put it in the primary around midnight. My starting gravity was 1.050. The next morning at about 9:00 the airlock was bubbling good and yesterday it was going good as well. This morning I noticed that it has slowed down severely and today at lunch it appears to have completely stopped. I know, I know, I need to check the SG, and I will tonight when I get home. But would this be out of the ordinary if it's done fermenting already? And is it too soon to move to the secondary? Again, this is my maiden voyage in beer brewing so go easy on me. Thanks!

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
surfbrewer
Recipes 

For that gravity it wouldn't be out of the question for it to be mostly done. I say mostly done because even though the airlock activity may look as though it has subsided it could probably stand a few more days in primary. As for going into secondary I would wait another couple of days if you are going to transfer otherwise just leave it in primary for 7-14 days and bypass the secondary completely. I used to put everything in secondary but now I rarely do unless I am dry hopping or making something that could use the extra maturing time. For a pale ale I would just do 10-14 days in primary and then package. For what its worth.....

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I was strongly considering skipping the secondary altogether. The more I read on this forum, the more I realize it's really not all that necessary for this type of beer. I'll measure the SG tonight and see where it stands and then again tomorrow. Either way, you're suggesting to leave it in the primary for another 7-10 days regardless if the fermenting is complete?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely leave it for a MINIMUM of 7 days. Better to leave it for a little longer, but the extra time will give the beer a chance to clear and what not. You'd be surprised what a few extra days or a week or 2 will do for the beer.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok. Here's my only concern... (obviously not really well planned out on my part)... I will be out of town next week till Thursday night. So my brew will be in the primary for a total of about 11-12 days. If the fermentation has ceased, will it hurt my beer, or cause any off flavors, to leave it in there for so many extra days? If I'm understanding what I've read on here, it shouldn't affect the taste of the beer. Right?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Pharmguy
Recipes 

You are going to find a lot of different advice on what to do now. From what I have read, its not uncommon for homebrews to be done fermenting by day 3-4 given the quality of todays yeast. Do you transfer to a secondary or bottle condition when your SG gets in range? I am new to this also and have decided to bottle condition at day 7-10 as long as SG is stable. Some people leave in primary for weeks and have no problems. Some transfer to secondary for weeks without problems and some go to bottle without problems. Point is....its hard to be wrong. Brew clean, follow the rules and have fun.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe the extra days will actually help the beer.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriggan486 View Post
I believe the extra days will actually help the beer.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?
You are correct. Longer on the yeast allows the yeast to clean up it's waste. It gives you a very clean taste as well as crystal clear beer.

To the OP, I leave mine in primary about 4 weeks so 12 days is nothing.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok, just checked the SG and it's at 1.020. FG is suppose to be 1.014-1.015. I am still seeing some bubbling, but it's very slow (maybe about 1 every minute or so). So I guess that's good. Maybe I'm just worrying too much!!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
Panzermann
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Regardless of airlock movement, I would wait 7-10 days regardless.

***No longer have time to keep up with all my batches***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short