Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Ete

Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andobajando View Post
That's exactly what I did! It works out great, if you keep it sanitary and wash your yeast periodically you can keep the same culture going for quite some time.
I'm interested in trying this. Might just try it after I brew my next saison. I've heard this can lead to overpitching, have you experienced any off flavors from doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
Sixbillionethans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know I mentioned I did it on a batch, but be careful with cell counts if you start putting wort batches on top of yeast cakes. If the 2 batches have similar gravities, you're probably over-pitching on the 2nd.

There's lots of other threads on that topic. But this is a case where you want to pitch on the low end for cellcount so the yeast throw off the esters and phenols.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
Berock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this bad boy today. Only modifications were using Hallertau instead of Styrains hops and turbinado instead of cane sugar. I made a 10 gallon batch. My OG was a little less but since I only get 65% efficiency it was expected. I wasn't sure I wanted an 8% saison so I'm ok with that.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #24
nduetime
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

out of curiosity, what might one do if they want to keep it from fermenting all the way down? say i wanted to keep just a little sugar there to play with the spices? would i just crash cool it when i get the FG to where i want it? any other way?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
brewhappy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nduetime View Post
out of curiosity, what might one do if they want to keep it from fermenting all the way down? say i wanted to keep just a little sugar there to play with the spices? would i just crash cool it when i get the FG to where i want it? any other way?
Yeah you can just cold crash it when it hits your desired gravity. You could also mash at a higher temperature to leave more unfermentable dextrins in the wort. Or you could boost the amount of unfermentable grains in the recipe, carapils or other crystal malts.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #26
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 625 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhappy View Post
Yeah you can just cold crash it when it hits your desired gravity. You could also mash at a higher temperature to leave more unfermentable dextrins in the wort. Or you could boost the amount of unfermentable grains in the recipe, carapils or other crystal malts.
If you cold crash before it is done you are setting your self up for bottle bombs if you bottle. Don't even think about doing that.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
rpryor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

About to attempt this one tomorrow!! However, I think I may leave the sugar out depending on my final gravity.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
jro238
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just brewed this one yesterday. I wanted to keep it a little lighter so I didn't use the extra 1# of sugar. I also left out the dry hopping. Planning to keg so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.