lambic - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > lambic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
BeerAg
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Houston, TX
Posts: 152
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


What I would like to do is create a true fruit lambic, where I drop in a pile of fruit sometime during the fermentation and get the bugs going again.

My fear is that I will either 1) wait too long, and the yeasties will be dormant and will not ferment the fruit sugars; or 2) not wait long enough, and the flavor profile will be whack, as the yeast didn't have time to clean up the off flavors.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mattmcl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Erie, CO
Posts: 731
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


I brewed a raspberry lambic out of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing." I followed his instructions to the letter and it was the best beer I have ever brewed, and quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Well, at least in the top 5.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
CBBaron
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Cleveland
Posts: 2,786
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAg View Post
What I would like to do is create a true fruit lambic, where I drop in a pile of fruit sometime during the fermentation and get the bugs going again.

My fear is that I will either 1) wait too long, and the yeasties will be dormant and will not ferment the fruit sugars; or 2) not wait long enough, and the flavor profile will be whack, as the yeast didn't have time to clean up the off flavors.
Not a problem. Even if the ferment has finished months ago if you drop in new sugars the yeast and other bugs will quickly start back up and ferment them.

Now while it is advantageous to leave a beer in the primary for sufficient time for the yeast to clean up off flavors it will also happen in the secondary as plenty of yeast remain in the beer during the transfer.

It really is quite difficult to screw up beer. I'm not saying its easy to make incredible beer but it is easy to make good beer.

Craig

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
niquejim's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 2,376
Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Not a problem. Even if the ferment has finished months ago if you drop in new sugars the yeast and other bugs will quickly start back up and ferment them.

Now while it is advantageous to leave a beer in the primary for sufficient time for the yeast to clean up off flavors it will also happen in the secondary as plenty of yeast remain in the beer during the transfer.

It really is quite difficult to screw up beer. I'm not saying its easy to make incredible beer but it is easy to make good beer.

Craig

Well said. My first attempt at my http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/ was to fix a batch that didn't carb in the bottles. I carefully poured them onto the mangos and added the bugs and 8 months later...Wow

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
adamjab19
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Berkley, MI
Posts: 491
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
I brewed a raspberry lambic out of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing." I followed his instructions to the letter and it was the best beer I have ever brewed, and quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Well, at least in the top 5.

The Papazian book I have has a Cherry Kriek Recipe. Did you just dump 10Lbs of raspberry instead of cherry. or how much did you use?


Also, if I use these bugs in my brew process is my equipment ruined or just a complete clean and sanatize be good afterward?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just tried my first lambic Sithdad Lambic & Wild Brewing 43 05-27-2010 06:18 AM
What to do with lambic.org... bensyverson General Beer Discussion 4 02-27-2008 05:15 AM
lambic noobrich All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 01-22-2008 08:10 PM
My first lambic... Ó Flannagáin General Beer Discussion 10 11-06-2007 12:32 AM
Lambic? Chris_Dog Recipes/Ingredients 8 08-20-2007 03:26 AM


Forum Jump