Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Knox gelatin for the 1st time

Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Fat Guy Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using Knox gelatin for the 1st time

I forgot irish moss when I cooked my porter so I thought I would try Knox gelatin for the first time in the secondary. I read a few threads on it and it sounds simple enough. So I poured 1 packet into about 1 cup of warm water. Right away it started clumping up and was hard to work with, kind of like the bottom of a bag of DME. It dissolved for the most part and I let it sit for 30 minutes. Then I heated it to before boiling and then cooled it back down and poured it into the secondary. Racked a porter on top of it. Now, 1 day later it looks like I have a 1 inch layer of porter jello at the bottom of the secondary. Does this sound normal? Have I done something wrong in the process? How do you eat jello off the bottom of a carboy? Thanks for the help.

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The gelatin should be soaked in cold water, just like it says on the label. This is called "blooming" the gelatin, rehydrating the granules and letting it start to dissolve in the water. After 10 minutes or so heat the resulting goo to pasteurization temperature, or about 170F. Do not boil the gelatin solution. Stir the heated mixture to dissolve and incorporate, it should be clear and uniform at this point. Pour the warm gelatin mixture into cold beer and let it sit for a few days. Rack and package your now cleared beer. BTW all you need for five gallons of beer is a half envelope of gelatin.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
NVMuskie
Recipes 

As was just mentioned... dissolving the gelatin in cold water first helps immensely.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

A whole packed it 1 cup of water seems like overkill.
I usually just add 1 Tablespoon (unless that is the package size) to a cup of water.
+1 to the cold water.
<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
Fat Guy Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help. There are no instructions on the box except how to make jello and cheesecake (hmm porter cheesecake?). Its a small 1 oz box with 4 packets so it looks to be about 1 tablespoon per package.

Aging:

Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Fat Guy Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just bottled the other day and it was not a layer of jello at the bottom. Just some proteins and other junk falling out and hitting the bottom side of the carboy. I can't tell how clear it is yet, just have to wait and pour when its ready.

Aging:

Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Next time, you don't want to rack the beer on top of it, but rather pour it into the already racked beer. As it drops out of solution, it grabs the proteins along the way.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
Next time, you don't want to rack the beer on top of it, but rather pour it into the already racked beer. As it drops out of solution, it grabs the proteins along the way.
I have heard the exact opposite. Racking on top of the gelatine allows the full volume of wort to mix thoroughly with the knox and best utilize the product. If you just dump the Knox in the full volume of wort, little to no mixing will occur. This is the same theory as racking on top of a priming solution in a bottling bucket.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
Korben
Recipes 

I thought you put the knox gelatin into the primary a few days before racking to the bottling bucket and then bottled as normal? Also, I have heard you may want to add some fresh yeast to the racked beer to make sure it carbs well?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
BrewerBill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I have heard the exact opposite. Racking on top of the gelatin allows the full volume of wort to mix thoroughly with the knox and best utilize the product. If you just dump the Knox in the full volume of wort, little to no mixing will occur. This is the same theory as racking on top of a priming solution in a bottling bucket.
Intuitively, racking on top of the gelatin seems to make better sense.

Also, what are your thoughts about using gelatin in a conical fermenter where no "secondary" fermentation takes place?

B.B.