How to get Pecan taste into a Braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerRunner

Reaction score
My brother-in-law gave me a Shiner "Cheer" Christmas beer recently. It has hints of peach and pecan. It was pretty good, but I'm thinking it would be awesome with more of both flavors. Can I just soak a bunch of pecans in vodka for a while and add them to secondary? Will the alcohol in a braggot be enough to extract the pecan flavor?

You might try this site for flavorings with no added alcohol, sugar or salt. I've kept them bookmarked as a possible source for my own use. They have pecan on page 2 of their water soluble flavors.

Bickford Flavors

For extracting flavors from nuts, I would try the vodka method on a small batch, at least. Crush up the pecans to give greater surface area. I have heard of folks extracting flavors from herbs (mint, etc) using the vodka method. It all depends on if the flavor compounds you want are alcohol soluble or oil soluble. If they're oil soluble, the only way you're likely to get them is to buy an extract to simulate the flavor.

What a great idea though. I don't even plan on pecanning mead, but I might put some pecan bits in vodka just to make a cooking extract for desserts, especially since we have the holiday tradition of "large bowl of mixed nuts that no one eats" sitting on the table right now. I might start two batches. One with pecans, one with walnuts. Nothing else in there really has a distinctive flavor.

Wait, are those hazelnuts?

Back