English IPA Twisted Oak IPA (English IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP023
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days @ 62°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
A maltier English IPA compared to the enamel-stripping American versions.
I prefer simple, uncomplicated grist to the 'kitchen sink' grainbills that I see floating around in both BCS and on HBT. Recipe scaled for 80% efficiency, as demonstrated over the past several brewdays.

Fermentables:

12 lbs Maris Otter (or similar English pale malt)
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz chocolate malt

Saccharification rest: 154° for 60 minutes

Hops:

1.5 oz 7.1% AA Challenger (pellets) @ 60 minutes
.5 oz 7.1% AA Challenger (pellets) @ 15 minutes
.5 oz 7.1 AA Challenger (pellets) @ 5 minutes

I'll be brewing this recipe again this week, employing FWH techniques for a side by side comparison.

How much will you FWH? What do you enter for the boil/utilization factor for hops this FWH'd?

I'll have to open up Beer Alchemy and tinker with the amounts to keep the IBUs around 57-8 as noted in this recipe. It will reduce the 60 minute addition a smidge.

EDIT: Just figured it out, I think.

FWH w/ 1.25 oz Challenger and reducing the 60 minute addition to .5 oz keeps the IBUs as written.

What are your thoughts on Challenger in this recipe? I made an agressively hopped SMaSH using challenger for the hop and am not 100% happy with the result. I had additions at 60, 30, 15 and 5 minutes plus a dry-hop. The overall bitterness could be described as harsh and the beer had a strong vegetal flavor that tasted for all the world like asparagus. The asparagus flavor is subsiding somewhat, but I'm no sure I'll use Challenger again unless your experience is completely different. Maybe I got a hold of a bad batch, or the dry-hopping added the weird flavors or something.

I'd say that the aroma is decidedly earthy with the late additions; I definitely don't get anything vegetal. Maybe you did get some 'off' hops.

I'd consider dry-hopping with EKG to get more floral notes.

Finally hooked up this keg up to the gas over the weekend and drew a small sample last evening. A substantial malt backbone with a firm bitterness that is assertive without being overpowering. Looking back at my notes, I deviated from my standard recipe slightly, dry-hopping with a mixture of Goldings and Fuggles to add a mix of floral/earthy notes.

A fine beer and a nice diversion from American IPAs.

Tasting Notes: A maltier English IPA compared to the enamel-stripping American versions.

I think I love you. :eek:

Yeah, this looks great!! An English IPA is kinda like an extended ESB. You are doing challenger, great for the earthiness rather than that citrus thing that goes on in American IPAs......I'm not saying there is anything wrong in American IPAs, but this is an English IPA, and it looks dead on to me.

I think I need a break from my own experiments, and might well be brewing this in the near future (Except with fuggles) This recipe looks instincively right for what I want.

Edit: Do ya think that with hop additions that low, that anyone will really believe it's an IPA? ;)

Tasting Notes: A maltier English IPA compared to the enamel-stripping American versions.

I think I love you. :eek:

Yeah, this looks great!! An English IPA is kinda like an extended ESB. You are doing challenger, great for the earthiness rather than that citrus thing that goes on in American IPAs......I'm not saying there is anything wrong in American IPAs, but this is an English IPA, and it looks dead on to me.

I think I need a break from my own experiments, and might well be brewing this in the near future (Except with fuggles) This recipe looks instincively right for what I want.

While I do enjoy American IPAs, I burn out on them rather quickly - and need to escape back into my English ales for their familiarity. :)

Funny that you should mention ESB as the Old Boot recipe in my pull-down has some basic similarities to this recipe, mainly the late Goldings additions (dry-hopped here, at knockout in the ESB) and half the IBUs.

I'm looking to do an English IPA today and have been reviewing recipes. What do you mean about the kitchen sink malts in brewing classic styles? The recipe I am looking at is just otter, munich, and c20l. I am tempted to go your route of a light hand with the specialty grains, but might just try the BCS version today.

He means recipes that have 9 different grain types just because people are in possession of 9 different grains.

K.I.S.S.

You simple grist looks in line with his philosophy.

This is what I thought, but didn't understand because flyangler mentioned BCS as an example of "kitchen sink" grain recipes, and the enlglish IPA looked really simple, so I thought maybe he objected to using munich or something. Thoughts flyangler?

Haha, your opinion is welcome too! Didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to know why he was not digging the BCS recipes. I am into simple recipes myself and find that the BCS ones are usually right up my alley.

I see the reason my silly confusion now! I was actually going off of Palmer's (simple) English IPA in "how to brew", it only has pale, crystal 20l, and munich.

In Brewing Classic Styles, they call for Pale, Wheat, C40l, c120l, and Biscuit. That is quite a bit more kitchen sinky.

In Brewing Classic Styles, they call for Pale, Wheat, C40l, c120l, and Biscuit. That is quite a bit more kitchen sinky.

IMO, adding Biscuit is patently unnecessary if you're using a English pale malt like MO, Optic or Halycon.

I can understand the confusion re: my kitchen sink comment, though. If there's a criticism I have with JZ's recipes, he transforms the most simple recipes by design and tradition into different animals with too many different malts. Just my opinion of course. ;)

I respect him immensely and have corresponded with him many times just the same.

I scrounged up this thread looking for a simple BIPA recipe and had the same question about FG. I'm planning on using 007 and at estimated 75% attenuation gets you to 1.017.

just seeing if anyone else has had success/failures with this style recipe/yeast combo.

i'm a fairly new brewer (especially in comparison to you all) and new to AG (about 5 batches notched in my belt); i've got an amber going with the 007 and i'd plan on using that sluury straight into the BIPA.

Latest posts

Back