Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Official Hot Sauce Making Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #31
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No, not if you do everything right. I did have a VERY bad experience once though with a Grolsh bottle, the kind with the ceramic latched top and rubber seal. I bottled a hot sauce I made (like 25 years ago) and stuck it in the fridge for a couple months. Well, maybe I didn't cook it well or something, I don't remember, but it fermented and to make matters worse I shook it before opening and when I did I was looking down at the bottle and it exploded into my eyes and blinded me for like 5-10 minutes. I flushed it out with water (stumbling to find the sink) and when I could finally see the door was still open, the bottle was on the floor and the ceiling was covered in hot sauce. Habanero sauce, burt like hell. I was home alone by myself, but kind of glad about that though as I had the option do I tell anyone or not. I still laugh at myself to this day but at first I was really scared about my vision.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I saw a video on some guys in Italy making tomato sauce and bottling it into beer bottles. Then they took and capped them and boiled them for a few minutes. The sauce was hot already when they filled the bottles and they boiled it for the extra protection I would think. I am just thinking about the caps, would this work with the caps or no? Would they just come off, or should I instead just have boiling sauce and straight into a hot bottle?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #33
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I saw a video on some guys in Italy making tomato sauce and bottling it into beer bottles. Then they took and capped them and boiled them for a few minutes. The sauce was hot already when they filled the bottles and they boiled it for the extra protection I would think. I am just thinking about the caps, would this work with the caps or no? Would they just come off, or should I instead just have boiling sauce and straight into a hot bottle?
Don't know, try an experiment with boiling water and see if the seal holds.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
No, not if you do everything right. I did have a VERY bad experience once though with a Grolsh bottle, the kind with the ceramic latched top and rubber seal. I bottled a hot sauce I made (like 25 years ago) and stuck it in the fridge for a couple months. Well, maybe I didn't cook it well or something, I don't remember, but it fermented and to make matters worse I shook it before opening and when I did I was looking down at the bottle and it exploded into my eyes and blinded me for like 5-10 minutes. I flushed it out with water (stumbling to find the sink) and when I could finally see the door was still open, the bottle was on the floor and the ceiling was covered in hot sauce. Habanero sauce, burt like hell. I was home alone by myself, but kind of glad about that though as I had the option do I tell anyone or not. I still laugh at myself to this day but at first I was really scared about my vision.
Usually explosions like that are a sign of bacterial infections. Glad you turned out ok.
Quote:
Boiling it is to sanatize the air that's left in the bottle. I'd skip on the swing top bottle and get the standard 5 oz Woozies.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #35
Matt Up North
Recipes 

I plan on doing it in beer bottles with crown caps, not swing tops. I am just thinking that they will not be able to contain the seal. I don't know though so I ask the board.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #36
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1368 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have made hot sauces -- may get back into it now since I have nearly exausted my supply.

I use Mason Jars and have never used bottles, as I never had access to them.
Lots of jars however...

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #37
Matt Up North
Recipes 

I was only thinking in terms of size and opening. If you aren't being sarcastic Chicken, how do you make sure you don't spill your salsa? I have enough trouble with the little cups that mexican joints give you, I don't want my habanero hot sauce completely desimating my entire meal when I have had a couple beers and spill it all over the place.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #38
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
I was only thinking in terms of size and opening. If you aren't being sarcastic Chicken, how do you make sure you don't spill your salsa? I have enough trouble with the little cups that mexican joints give you, I don't want my habanero hot sauce completely desimating my entire meal when I have had a couple beers and spill it all over the place.

Spoons?

BTW, I use mason jars too all the way up to quart sizes since I need a lot making wings, opened jars keep in the fridge long enough for the next time.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #39
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod;1391023[B
]Usually explosions like that are a sign of bacterial infections. Glad you turned out ok.[/B]

Boiling it is to sanatize the air that's left in the bottle. I'd skip on the swing top bottle and get the standard 5 oz Woozies.
Oh yeah most likely, but I don't remember if I even used it, just wanted to share a funny story, had nothing to do with what bottle I used.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #40
Matt Up North
Recipes 

On the 5 oz Woozies, do you boil them in water too or just add boiling sauce into them and seal shut?