Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Official Hot Sauce Making Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
MawrCwrw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

i tried to grow a habanero plant last year -- it only produced one pepper last year, but it's already getting fluffy and leafy for this year, so fingers crossed.

i have the best luck growing rainbow (bird) and datil peppers, and i LOVE datil peppers so that's OK with me.

Datil pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

usually i just split them and toss into vinegar and add some salt -- sometimes i combine vinegars. (chinese black, apple cider, white).

there is a tasty old fashioned datil sauce recipe that i've used with great results that involves cooking ketchup, sugar, vinegar and spices with the datils but now i can't find it?

it was online for years, from W.A. Pursley at Molasses Junction.

for some reason it seems to have disappeared. maybe because there are so many commercial datil pepper sauce makers now?? i dunno. weird.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I went back and re-read you process and it seems you strain nothing or are you just leaving out what would maybe be obvious? Doesn't it come out more like a salsa then a sauce?
In another thread I explained in great detail my process and my goal is to get a consistency of the stuff you buy in shaker bottles like Tabasco, but I also make it thicker for wing sauce but still strain out everything. Not saying I havenít made stuff like you describe for putting on tacos and stuff but I wouldn't call it a sauce.

Of course I am not being a critic, I just love discussing this topic and learning from others. I grow all my hot peppers too and most all from seed.
Tobasco is something like 80% vinegar....blllagghhh.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Tobasco is something like 80% vinegar....blllagghhh.
Oh well, guess that didn't answer my question but it looks like vinegar makes up most of your liquid too. Thanks for sharing.

I use it also because for one I need something acidic to help preserve it, I need a liquid because I cook it and peppers have little juice and I do like the flavor it adds. Like I said, I also make a thick version for wing sauce but I also make one that can go into small bottles and still be able to get it out. I like all kind of hot sauces including Tabasco.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #24
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Oh well, guess that didn't answer my question but it looks like vinegar makes up most of your liquid too. Thanks for sharing.

I use it also because for one I need something acidic to help preserve it, I need a liquid because I cook it and peppers have little juice and I do like the flavor it adds. Like I said, I also make a thick version for wing sauce but I also make one that can go into small bottles and still be able to get it out. I like all kind of hot sauces including Tabasco.
Well, it sort of answered your question. You wanted your sauce like Tobasco, to get it to that point your have to use a ton of vinegar.

As for the sauce I listed it's really not that much vinegar (It's a small bottle, I think they are 20 ounces or something, I'd have to look it up) and most of it is boiled off when I cook the sauce

Also, look into juicing the peppers and combine the juice with the vinegar.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
jmilton1987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got this recipe from another site, but it is great. Also I prefer to use mangoes not peaches:

INGREDIENTS:

* 12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
* 8 cloves of garlic
* 1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in syrup
* 1/2 cup dark molasses
* 1/2 cup yellow mustard
* 1/2 cup light brown sugar
* 1 cup distilled white vinegar
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 2 tablespoons paprika
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

DIRECTIONS:

1. Put all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blitz until liquefied.

2.Pour into sterilized bottles and refrigerate overnight for the flavours to meld before using.

If 12 habaneros sounds a bit too much just use 6 initially and taste the sauce, you can always blitz more peppers into it until you've got the right level of heat.

A can of sliced mango's instead of the peaches works pretty good too.

I think this stuff tastes great and it keeps nicely for a long time if kept refrigerated

Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

"12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped"

Well, there goes the majority of the heat

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #27
jmilton1987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah it isn't as hot as you would think but it has a good kick you can still have the seeds if you want.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Heat isn't in seeds so much as the membrane of the fruit.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Heat isn't in seeds so much as the membrane of the fruit.
Yes, the placenta as it's refered to, has the majority of the heat, seeds have no heat. But since they are attached to the placenta some of it's heat coats the seeds, thus the common missconception that seeds are hot.

But when someone says "seeded" or "deseed" the peppers, they mean take the placenta and seeds out, thus dramaticly decreasing the heat of the pepper.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am looking into making up some hot sauces with the pepper plants I have. I planted Habanero plants just for this purpose and was thinking of canning it in some 12 oz bottles with a beer cap. Anyone think of any reason not to do this?