What things are you snobby about now that you weren't 5 years ago? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What things are you snobby about now that you weren't 5 years ago?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

You know, stuff that you got interested in, either making or using?

*Beer - I used to thing that Pacifico and Negro Modelo were "good" beers
*Coffee - I'm working on it. I can still drink Denny's coffee but I much prefer a cup brewed with my French Press of Moka pot.
*Knives - I had never used a nice knife before I started dating my ex and used his set of Wustofs. The ex is gone, but I'm working on my collection and every time I know I'll be cooking at someone else's house, I bring my own knives, other people all seem to have dull ones which makes the experience unpleasant.
*Cheese - I don't have the equipment to make many different cheeses, but man, I've gotten picky about cheeses to eat. I LOVE "craft" cheeses, unfortunately, I still haven't been able to stomach bleu-y ones. Mold on the outside is usually ok, but inundated with mold are a little tough for me still.
*Cookware - nice thick bottomed pots and pans, my ever growing cast iron collection, etc. They really make the cooking experience much more pleasurable.
*Sheets and towels - thick fluffy towels that actually absorb water (cheap towels just seem to smear it around until they've been washed enough times, then they're threadbare and unpleasant to use). I may only have 4 nice towels, but I'd rather launder 4 nice towels more often than 8 crappy ones. And high thread count sheets. You don't notice a difference until your bare ass is slipping around in 700 thread count cotton. mmmm. My only exception for that is my million year old flannel sheets. I love them.
*Artisan breads - don't get me wrong, I still love the loaf of wonder-like bread to make turkey sammiches after Thanksgiving, but I've had trouble finding truly remarkable artisan breads, even at expensive markets. It's cheaper and produces a better product to make them myself I've found, and I compare every commercial bread to my product and always find myself disappointed with others. Maybe I just need to find a good bakery, but HWMBO's dad keeps telling me that my bread is the closest he's found to true breads from NJ that he's had since moving to Seattle in 85.

How about you? What are you a snob about? Has this foray into homebrewing made you snobbier about things other than beer?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Jun 2008

Beer. i dont think i am, but SWMBO begs to differ.

Shaving. started using a straight razor this year.

Recycling. i cannot help but rant everytime a see a label touting the benefits of paying someone else to recycle but not actually doing it yourself (offsets)

Food. its gotta be healthy, taste good, and be made by me.
Think of something inspirational. Then pretend I wrote it here.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Beer of course, and carpentry. I've gone to extremes at home on both counts. Both of which are very rewarding of course. First thing I did with my new skills? Built a bar.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Oct 2008
Lowell, MA - Massachusetts
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Probably snobbier with beer.... and I'm so meat and potatos that I could never be a food snob.
In Primary: Apfelwein
In Primary 2: Shaggy Brown Ale
In Primary 3:Nothing
In Secondary: Empty
In Keg: Snowy Mountain APA (kicked), Nameless Pale Ale
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Jun 2008
Maple Shade NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beer- I used to drink coors light, heineken on holidays, Natty Light. Now,because of this website, I have learned a little about beer.

Tools- I used to buy the cheapest possible, now I buy the best that I can when I am replacing the cheap stuff.

Bread: I live in Mapletucky,(Maple Shade) a small town in NJ near Philadelphia. Usually, when I go back up to north jersey, I buy real bread.

Food: I used to eat a lot, now I eat better.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Beer is probably the only thing I'm truly snobby about. I'll politely refuse a BMC and it's never an option when I'm hosting a cookout.

Coffee- Unless it's the really cheap generic crap, I could care less. Love the Maxwell House and Yuban, and I've been known to microwave day old coffee once in awhile.

Tools- I'd probably be snobbier if I used them often. Most of my stuff is Craftsman by default, but I've got cheap stuff that works too. Craftsman does p!ss me off more as they have started to incorporate a lot of Chinese stuff into their product line. My Dad used to have a bunch of MAC tools, those were expensive.

Some of the other stuff like cookware and knives, I plan on being snobbier once I get out of debt a bit and get to the point where I can afford nicer stuff. I have really nice pans from Costco that are getting old (teflon coated). My next cookware is going to be stainless and cast iron, no more teflon.
Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
May 2008
Watertown, CT
Liked 3756 Times on 3587 Posts

I am snobby only about beer and running shoes, but that hasn't changed in the past five years. The beer thing is obvious. I will never buy running shoes from a sporting goods/shoe store because those things are cheaper renditions of the ones actually sold in running stores.

Oh, and I'm snobby about couches on the porch and any outdoor furniture that is not built to be outdoors.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Sep 2008
Belgrade Lakes Region, Maine
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beer, definitely.

Prostitutes. A couple of years ago it was crack-whore this, crack-whore that. Now it is exclusively call-girls.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #9

My list is short, and I'll leave the obvious response of 'beer' off the list for the sake of brevity.

Camera equipment- especially lenses. I got into photography pretty seriously through professional acquaintances.

Knives. Happiness in my kitchen is a well-sharpened, well-balanced piece of fine cutlery.

Artisanal cheeses and breads.

Wet shaving. Straight razor and DE all the way. Shave soap applied with a badger brush.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Beer, coffee, psychadelics, and music.
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, Iím a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."