Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #621
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Thanks for the link. Regarding the extension, I've thought about doing that, but I don't have a way on hand to cut the pipe, so figuring that out is a bit more effort than I've been able to muster. For now, I've been happy enough tipping the bucket at the end. Maybe someday, though.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #622
Bronco1500
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

zeg,
You could always "borrow" a pvc pipe cutter from the local hardware store.
Buy the cutter and pipe. Walk out to the car. Cut and fit pipe to bucket. Walk into store and return the cutter. Easy peasy.

Just a thought.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #623
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My dip tube, inspired by this thread. Leaves a few ml in the bucket

Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #624
zeg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco1500 View Post
zeg,
You could always "borrow" a pvc pipe cutter from the local hardware store.
Buy the cutter and pipe. Walk out to the car. Cut and fit pipe to bucket. Walk into store and return the cutter. Easy peasy.

Just a thought.
That'd probably work, but as a rule I don't like to exploit generous return policies. I make plenty of use of them since I am really bad at planning ahead, but I don't like to buy things planning to use and return.

I'll figure something out eventually, I think these are mostly excuses for not having a lot of energy to spend thinking about things. Tipping the bucket is working ok for me. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
Handsaw Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #625
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
That'd probably work, but as a rule I don't like to exploit generous return policies. I make plenty of use of them since I am really bad at planning ahead, but I don't like to buy things planning to use and return.

I'll figure something out eventually, I think these are mostly excuses for not having a lot of energy to spend thinking about things. Tipping the bucket is working ok for me. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
Long before the advent of fancy pvc cutters plumbers just used a hacksaw, and then a pocket knife to clean the edges. If you are really cheap, just buy a hacksaw blade and wrap one end of the blade with duct tape.
PortlandPatrick Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #626
PortlandPatrick
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Long before the advent of fancy pvc cutters plumbers just used a hacksaw, and then a pocket knife to clean the edges. If you are really cheap, just buy a hacksaw blade and wrap one end of the blade with duct tape.
I was just about to say the same thing. And hell, you can probably get a hacksaw blade 2-pack at the dollar store (of course, the $2.49 two-pack at Home Depot isn't all that much more...)

Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #627
jstrong
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I need to bottle my five gallon batch with a siphon and bottling wand, and i just tealized i dont know how to keep the siphon going thru the process(i would think it would stop everytime in between bottles) any help would b nice

Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #628
zeg
Recipes 

It should hold the siphon between bottles. Keep the bottling wand below the level of the beer, that way if there are any leaks in the wand, you'll just get a slow leak instead of losing vacuum and eventually having to restart the siphon.

Edit: By the way, try this with a bucket of water first to make sure it's working and that you understand how to work with it before you risk your beer.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #629
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrong View Post
I need to bottle my five gallon batch with a siphon and bottling wand, and i just tealized i dont know how to keep the siphon going thru the process(i would think it would stop everytime in between bottles) any help would b nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
It should hold the siphon between bottles. Keep the bottling wand below the level of the beer, that way if there are any leaks in the wand, you'll just get a slow leak instead of losing vacuum and eventually having to restart the siphon.

Edit: By the way, try this with a bucket of water first to make sure it's working and that you understand how to work with it before you risk your beer.
Down this path lies frustration! There will be some CO2 still in solution that will collect in the top of the siphon tube. Eventually enough will collect to break the siphon. To minimize it, have a helper ready to hand you bottles and take away full ones. keep to a minimum the time between stopping one bottle and starting the next. Maybe smack the side of the fermentor a few times over several min to degass some of the CO2.

And when you can, buy/build a bottling bucket with a spigot.
jstrong Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #630
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You're overthinking it. Basically the yeast are tired.

It's more than likely simply the fact that it's a BIG BEER. Haven't you noticed the discussions in this thread on throughout the forum about how BIG BEERS can take MONTHS to finally carb up with out a little extra yeast help at bottling time?

You haven't seen where I've in just about EVERY bottling thread I answer, the little cut and paste about how my 1.090 Belgian Strong Ale took about 6 months to carb up?

Even now, if you want you can uncap add fresh yeast and recap (I'd use new caps) and that will help it along.

I recommend using a medicine eye dropper with graduations on it. Rehydrate some dry yeast in warm water, and using the sanitized eye dropper and squirt a couple mls of yeast into the bottles, cap, shake and leave them for a couple more weeks.

Or wait. But yeah it's probably not because you caramlized the priming sugar (have you EVER actually done it before?) Or not enough oxygen, it's just that those puppies in there did alot to make that Big Beligan into the boozy wonder that it probably is. An just like your fat uncle Joe on Thanksgiving day after 3 helpings of turkey and all the fixings, have undone their belts, taken one look at the Pumpkin Pie, and said, "No Mas."
The addition of yeast and nutrient helped. It's carbed now.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Fermenting: E Fitzgerald Porter, American Special Bitter, Light Lager (sorta between Helles and Vienna), Summer Session Saison
On Deck: White IPA, Tripel?, Pils? Hefe? Hoppy Brown?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking