Well, I guess I will update on this INTERESTING brew night... I got started about 8:30pm, and my first two brews both finished a bit high. After doing some research I saw the positives of a longer mash time having a correlation to lower finishing gravities.
Long story short, I have to split my batches on my stovetop and by 3am, I am fried, and still NO BOIL in BK2!!! WTF So, I clean up so as not to ROYALLY make SWMBO mad (as I was already up way too late) . Too tired, and too late, I do not run the IC as I do not want to have do even more cleaning at this point. I finally head to the couch about 3:15am (so as not to wake SWMBO). Knowing what I do, and reading here forever, I knew not to dump the batch and I just put the lid on BK 2 now that it is no longer steaming.
Wake up at 7am, get ready for work, etc. Check BK #2 and it is down to about 2 -2 1/4 gallons! Holy evaporation.
I pitch it with the content of BK1 (as I do not have another clean/sanitized fermenter to split the batch), aerate, and pitch the yeast. Get 5 gallons into the fermenter instead of my intended 5.5. Oh well. OG into fermenter 1.52 versus target of 1.53.
Get home from work and I have airlock activity.
All I know is that I will NEVER be able to reproduce this beer; hopefully this will be bittersweet in that I end up with an AWESOME beer, just never able to replicate
So, that was my adventure!
For the "full story" go here: