Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Holiday disasters......

Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Holiday disasters......

From hospital visits to fires, and the worst gift givings.

Lets here them;

Mine is that my 10 year old dishwasher started an electrical fire. No fire trucks needed , and no insurance claims filed. I managed the problem efficiently but, it could have been a lot worse.

On the bright side, I now have a motor for my grain mill.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
On the bright side, I now have a motor for my grain mill.
Guess that makes it all worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5938 Times on 4233 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Not a disaster, but still an unusual day.

As I mentioned in a different thread, we apparently had a circuit breaker trip last night, so that the furnace was off, and most of the downstairs in our house. My beer fridge was warm, but the house was cold. Got that figured out, and then my husband mentioned that the weather was getting bad for traveling. So instead of leaving on our vacation (kids and I) the next day for our 14 hour drive to visit my family, we left at noon.

We are now in Grayling Michigan, and nothing is open. We had Christmas dinner at the Grayling 7/11 and are sitting in the Days Inn.

Not a disaster, and gas station food isn't all that bad. Still, it's a unique Christmas for us.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3569 Times on 3447 Posts

Long time ago, when I was living in NC, my ex-wife had to work at Duke Medical Center supervising chemo treatments. I waited for her in her lobby. We had a car full of presents for her brother and his family, including our 1-year-old niece.

When we went to depart for Greensboro later in the day, found the car window smashed and all the presents gone.

The worst part, I saw a woman sitting in her car in the parking lot next to our car earlier in the day. Didn't think too much of it what with people comingin for treatments. Fortunately, I got a good look at her and was able to pick her out of a photo lineup at the Durham police station a few days later. They arrested her later that day.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Not a disaster, and gas station food isn't all that bad. Still, it's a unique Christmas for us.
heh. I remember staying in Grayling once at a winter resort. In the summer, it was cheap. I didn't remember the town being big enough for a 7-11 tho.

Quote:

Old 12-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Long time ago, when I was living in NC, my ex-wife had to work at Duke Medical Center supervising chemo treatments. I waited for her in her lobby. We had a car full of presents for her brother and his family, including our 1-year-old niece.

When we went to depart for Greensboro later in the day, found the car window smashed and all the presents gone.

The worst part, I saw a woman sitting in her car in the parking lot next to our car earlier in the day. Didn't think too much of it what with people comingin for treatments. Fortunately, I got a good look at her and was able to pick her out of a photo lineup at the Durham police station a few days later. They arrested her later that day.
It didn't happen at Christmas time, but your story reminded me of an incident that my brother, a cop, related to me a few years ago.

A woman in his town went to a store downtown, and seeing a shady looking guy made sure to take her purse with her. She, however, left the car running because it was winter, and it was Maine, and well, nothing much happens in Bridgeton, Maine. Except that day...

My brother got the call. Dispatch told him to go to the Ben Franklin store and see a customer about a stolen car. He asked for the name and dispatch said..."oh, you'll know her. Its' your wife!"

The car was recovered several days later, and the guy arrested. He was also wanted for several other crimes, so I guess he might have looked shady alright! Currently he's still in jail, but my SIL has not been allowed to forget it.
In Secondary: Empty
In Keg: Empty
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 AM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

ouch.

Around these parts cops issue citations for leaving your car running unattended. And since it's illegal to do so, good luck getting anything out of your insurance company if someone steals your car while it's running and unlocked... you were breaking the law, after all..

Quote:

Old 12-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 11

One Christmas about 10 years ago I was visiting my Uncle's house in Tucson. I clogged the toilet (hey what can I say?)....but it somehow affected the plumbing in the WHOLE house! The toilet started overflowing, the toilet in the next bathroom did the same, and the bathtubs started filling up with water and small pieces of toilet paper. It was like the Deathstar on Star Wars.....I must've hit the weak spot in the plumbing and brought down the whole system!

We ended up paying a plumber triple time to come out and run a snake through the pipes...

Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2859 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Well... thanks to winter storms I got to play with my chainsaw and my uncle went home with a cord full of wood... A few trees went down at my parents house... keep telling them they NEED to get an arborist out there (a few iffy looking trees are tall enough that if they go, they're taking a house with them...). When they moved in to the house 15 years ago, no neighbors were in sight. Numerous winter storms later and they have a great view of the neighbors pool... 80 year old neighbors pool... *ewww*
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

I went to my dad's place and took my AG equipment along. He bought a Johson A419 to turn his fridge into a lagerator. When it got there it was broken so I spent an hour with customer support and a volt meter. I ended up splicing a wire and messing around with it. Now we've got two in the fridge. X-mas Miracle

What's tappening? :D