Newbie! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie!

Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Maddar
Recipes 

Dec 2008

Hello and Season's Greeting to all!
I have a question about hops. We always purchase our hops from a local Wine and Beer U-Brew but as you all might well know, hops are getting pretty expensive and in some cases hard to find. My question concerns a hop plant I was given and few years back. I have no idea what type it is and if it is any good for brewing. Are all hops brew-able and are any poisonous? Thank you!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Welcome!

All hops are brewable but it's almost impossible to know the bitterness without sending them to the lab. Most folks use unknown hops for aroma.

The other way to find out is to make some experimental batches using them. I think a SMaSH (single malt, single hops) is a good way to find out.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Maddar
Recipes 

Dec 2008

Thank you so much for answering me. It has puzzled me for the past few years as to whether we should use them and suffer god knows what. They smell strong and full of body so we'll give them a go this year in a single malt/single mash as you suggest. Cheers!
Oh and thanks for the welcome, this is a very informative site and I'll be sure to visit more in time!