Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I want to build an insulated box for fermenting

Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
brewIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I want to build an insulated box for fermenting

Hi-
Im new to homebrewing (I've helped a friend with 3 batches and want to start my own) and am setting up/purchasing my own equipment. I saw a picture on these forums of a box-type thing that was insulated for fermenting a carboy at constant temperatures. I live in Flagstaff, AZ where (at the moment and pretty generally) the weather is cooler, and I was wondering if someone had DIY instructions. I figure there is going to need to be a hole for c02 to escape and I will also need something for temperature control ( like these NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control) , other than that it seems like 6 sides of foam board insulation. Thanks for any help.

Adam

Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

I am about to build two of them.

The base will be 13"x17", just big enough for a six gallon better bottle and a couple of frozen 2 liter soda bottles.

They will be just simple boxes of 2" foam board, glued together. The lid will overlap and be removable.

I don't think you need a hole for the CO2.

I am looking for a couple of cheap indoor/outdoor digital thermometers with a probes to use with them.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
brewIPA
Recipes 

I did a little bit more searching to find the picture and ended up finding the DIY with pictures here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...cabinet-86815/ . I think I'm going to follow these instructions but modify it to hold only 4 carboys. Thanks for the input though.

Adam

Old 12-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It may be easier (and better) to get a free broken refrigerator on Craigslist, if you can find a place to put it. PEople are always giving away free broken fridges.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Eventually, I'm going to build lagering chamber using a dorm fridge.

The little "coolers" I'm building now will be used to cool down fermenting ales in the summer, then. For now, in the winter, they will work fine for lagers.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

Yeah, the little dorm fridges will start to go for super cheap when college gets out if you live in a college town.

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
surfbrewer
Recipes 

I built one of these using these instructions and have had great results with it. It only holds two carboys but you could easily modify the dimensions to accomadate more. There are also instructions on the same site for a digital temp. control using a digital residential thermostat, it works like a charm.

Wort-O-Matic: 38DD Mother of a Fermentation Chiller

Cheers

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 12-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
brewIPA
Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-6-...version-88554/

I think this is what I'm going to go with. Flagstaff is a big college town and I have already found convertable/working dorm fridges for only 25$. I'm hoping to start this project once I get back to school. Thanks for all the input.