Any hockey fans out there? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Any hockey fans out there?

Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Desert Monkey

Recipes 

May 2008
Phoenix, Arizona

Not sure how many hockey fans are out there, but those of us who choose a different path from the "normal" for our sports entertainment, I'm in a dismal mood this holiday season -

I love living near a NHL team, and have in every city we've moved to so far. Well, my luck might change pretty soon -

globeandmail.com: Coyotes' financial situation gets uglier

Trouble In The Desert: NHL, Please Save the Phoenix Coyotes! | Bleacher Report

Now, I'm not going to cry in my ham tomorrow, but I am going to hope by some grace of good fortune there's a homebrewer out there with $200M looking for a team.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Old 12-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8013 Times on 5600 Posts

Darn! I'd love to help you out with my spare cash, but I'm too much of a Red Wings fan to bail out a different team. Maybe next time!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I think they just might make it. My Sabres were run by the league for a few years after a bankrupt corrupt ownership fell through. The NHL protects its franchises and does what it can to save them. The Coyotes will play some northern team in the 2010 Winter Classic Im sure. Dont lose too much sleep over it. I think theyll survive but it is very bad timing with the fiat economy failing and everything.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Desert Monkey

Recipes 

May 2008
Phoenix, Arizona

I hope they end up staying, I'd hate to move again!

Red Wing's night is the only game out the the entire 42 home game stand that has a full attendance - and I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you who the people are there to see

The fact the NHL stepped in is good news for now, there's talk about some movie director's group buying it all up (all rumor of course).

—General Jack D. Ripper

Old 12-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Its a bit of a slippery slope. People only want to watch their team win and when a team goes through something distracting like this winning is even harder. Best of luck man I feel for ya. NOW GO BUY SOME ****ING TICKETS!!!!!!!!

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
uglygoat

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Clebland, OH
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

ice hockey in the desert... what will they think of next.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Die hard Wings fan, but I live in Tennessee and support the Preds. 2 years ago the were all but moved to Canada, but it never materialized. I will keep going to games and supporting them, especially when the Wings come to town. Don't lose hope.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Desert Monkey

Recipes 

May 2008
Phoenix, Arizona

We have 4 season tickets for just my wife and I - had to do it at the silly half-off prices!

We take a LOT of people to the games - we're 6 rows back from the 'yotes net. Best seat in the rink when you played goal for a number of years...

And if I had a dime for every time someone said "Hockey in the desert?" I'd just about have enough to buy the team out myself

—General Jack D. Ripper

Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
uglygoat

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Clebland, OH
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

are there any teams left in canada?

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

My opinion on this matter probably won't go over well...but I say let them fail.

At the very least, it will prove to that rat fink Bettman that expansion was the worst thing that could ever happen to hockey. Yes, I know the 'yotes weren't an expansion team (they were originally the Winnipeg Jets), but this franchise was part of the movement to drain hockey from Canada on the premise that it would do better in the US. Well that hasn't worked. You have 3 or 4 franchises in the US that are struggling mightily. Next we'll see this happen with Nashville, after that Columbus, and after that Atlanta. And look at that...all expansion teams.

Bettman is screwing up the NHL and no one has the nuts to stop it.

Someone should have gotten a clue when Phoenix couldn't even support the Roadrunners.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com