American Brown Ale American Winter Brown Ale - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Brown Ale American Winter Brown Ale

Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
leghorn

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Yorktown, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since this popped up yesterday it has made it to my list of "next to brews" - I love the idea of an imperial brown...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
leghorn

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Yorktown, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Call me crazy, but what about a 0.25lb Aromatic added to the grain bill? Over the edge, or does it hit a sweet spot?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I'm having trouble trying to imagine what that would be like...I'm not an expert on aromatic but I see it as a way of giving big malt flavor/aroma without actually elevating the gravity much. I vote nay but you're welcome to experiment.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #14
leghorn

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Yorktown, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I'll take your advice and make it your way. I can always experiment with a second batch.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC

It just occurred to me as I was listening to the Jamil Show today that instead of using the Aromatic, switching the base malt to Marris Otter, or 50/50, would beef up the malt in an unobtrusive way. (english pale malt extract for extract brewers)
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 05-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #16
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC

I'm savoring the last pint of the first keg of this beer right now, and I can't believe I'm about to say goodbye to it. In case you can't tell, I'm almost emotionally attached to this beer. No time to be sad though, I've never been more excited to tap any keg than I have been about my bourbon barrel porter.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
FailureDrill

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had really poor efficiency brewing this one with my OG at 1.070. But, it went down to 1.016 so it's still above 7%. Tasted great at secondary transfer, will update after it's bottled. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #18
FailureDrill

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a solid beer. Nice and malty, but some dark fruit comes through also. The head quickly disappears on mine, but leaves nice lacing down the glass. Color is a nice dark red - black.

Thanks again for the recipe, gonna bottle a bunch up and distribute to friends for their reactions.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC

Thanks for the update! Glad you're enjoying it.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #20
strohs
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Columbus, OH
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Excellent, I finally found my big winter beer!