Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
meadowstream
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default How Long to Dry Hop?

I am thinking that like other items that are soaked, that hops flavor/aroma is probably absorbed pretty quickly into the liquid. Would think that after 3-4 days, with some swirling along the way, that dry hopping is pretty complete... What do you think?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #32
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5737 Times on 4108 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowstream View Post
I am thinking that like other items that are soaked, that hops flavor/aroma is probably absorbed pretty quickly into the liquid. Would think that after 3-4 days, with some swirling along the way, that dry hopping is pretty complete... What do you think?
Yes, I'd say that by about 3-4 days, most of the hops goodness is into the beer. I wouldn't swirl or stir, just let them soak. I've left dryhops for as long as 10 days, though, when I didn't have time to rack.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
hayabusa
Recipes 

I just ordered some SS mesh from McMaster Carr - I am going to take Bobby's hop filter idea, but make a cylindrical tube that is SS wire stitched at one end (bottom) and with a paint strainer bag and a zip tie over the “top” to seal it. The mesh tube will fit all the way down into the corny keg (it’s 1” shorter than the keg) and can be easily removed, or left in….

I’ll let you know how it works in a few weeks….

Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #34
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3137 Times on 2168 Posts
Likes Given: 1916

I made what was supposed to be a Two-hearted clone. Well, I mashed too high (first AG) and it's still too sweet and full-bodies IMO.

Anyway, I dry-hopped with 1 oz cascade pellets for several days before crash-cooling for a couple more and kegging. There is a noticeable lack of hops aroma.

What could be wrong? I thought this was supposed to be a no-brain exercise and that aroma could really improve this beer. As it is, I think I might try and make a hop tea to offset the sweet a bit more.
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !

Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #35
jaja
Recipes 

I'll bump this instead of using a new thread.

I made an APA and in the boil it had Cascade and cluster for aroma and after a week it was dry hopped when racked to secondary with Chinook.

If I was to dry hop it in the keg to get a bit more hop flavour as I think I was too far off with my hop weights what hops would I dry hop with?

Should I use Chinook as it was the dry hop choice in the fermenter or can I use Cascade wich I actually have in stock in my hop bank.

What would you choose?

BTW I plan on using a stainless steel tea ball and a marble in it to weigh it down. does this stay in for the life of the beer or should it be removed after a certain time. If removed I'll put fishing line on it and attatch it to the dip tube if I can to make it easier to remove.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #36
jaja
Recipes 

Anyone?.........

Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #37
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja View Post

I made an APA and in the boil it had Cascade and cluster for aroma and after a week it was dry hopped when racked to secondary with Chinook.

If I was to dry hop it in the keg to get a bit more hop flavour as I think I was too far off with my hop weights what hops would I dry hop with?

Should I use Chinook as it was the dry hop choice in the fermenter or can I use Cascade wich I actually have in stock in my hop bank.

What would you choose?

BTW I plan on using a stainless steel tea ball and a marble in it to weigh it down. does this stay in for the life of the beer or should it be removed after a certain time. If removed I'll put fishing line on it and attatch it to the dip tube if I can to make it easier to remove.

Cascade would be a good hop to dry hop your beer with. I generally leave my keg hops in for as long as several months. Others don't because it supposedly leaves grassy flavors eventually. Make sure you sanitize your tea ball and marble.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #38
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja View Post

What would you choose?

I think it comes down to what aroma you are looking for... If you are going for the spiciness of the chinook, then double it up by adding more to the keg. Cascade definitely tend to have a more pronounced citrus/floral aroma and are the traditional choice for IPA and would probably go well with most APA as well.

As far as to how long - the achohol content is not really high enough to preserve the hops long term (if they start to breakdown, they could potentially release off flavors/aromas). Plus, a month or two is probably going to extract all the aroma you're going to get.

Good Luck!

Reason: add signature

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #39
flash24
Recipes 

I am going to dry hop for the first time, a bock. After talking to my local brew store they suggested just dropping the pellets into the secondary and then using a nylon straining bag attached to the siphon when racking from the secondary to the bottling bucket. Hope that helps.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #40
Superdave
Recipes 

Since the thread was resurrected yesterday...

I dry-hopped for the first time last night, but am pretty excited to drink the beer, as it has aged out very well, but needed some hop aroma. (I know, most people dry hop much sooner than I did, but I was doing some other stuff with the beer too.)

Anyway, I was wondering if the consensus leaned toward 3-4 days is all that is needed to extract what is being extracted? Hoping to finally bottle the beer on Thursday evening.