Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to add coffee to stout?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #11
EnVinoVeritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default RE: Cold-Brewing Coffee

Hello. I am interested in this thread as I am currently brewing an oatmeal and was thinking about adding some coffee to it. It appears if the cold-brewing technique is preferred for eliminating some of the harsher qualities of hot-brewed coffee.

My question is if you heat it up to sterilize it, is there a point in doing it in the first place?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
thataintchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have always used cold brewing. Added in Secondary.
I generally get my whole beans from Peet's.... but I set SWMBO up for Christmas... she now roasts her own coffee beans that are used in her stouts and porters.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Twang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Anyone have any thoughts on putting a couple "pods" or "capsules" in the secondary?

Also, the reason behind cold brewing and adding to the secondary instead of adding beans to the secondary - is to reduce the unwanted oils/acids/flavors? Is it the time or temperature that makes the difference? Or both?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
tekhna
Recipes 

Cold brewing is by far the best way to go. It pulls out of some the oils, and when you cool boiled coffee from hot to cold it can take on a nasty, acrid flavor. There's a reason cold coffee left sit out can taste so bad.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
erikrocks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed an oatmeal stout a few weeks ago, and I'd like to add coffee before I bottle tomorrow.

I'm going to cold steep overnight...but the idea I had was to cold steep in the sugar water that I will add tomorrow evening before I bottle. That is, I boil my sugar water now, cool it, add the coffee, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then I add it to the bottling bucket tomorrow. This way, I would have to add water twice (once with the cold steeped coffee, again with the priming sugar).

Has anyone done this? Will this work?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #16
Sithdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I added cold steeped coffee to my stout and it turned out great. No harsh bitterness from the coffee. I added the filtered coffee to the boil with ~10 minutes to go. This way it got sterilized. If you want to add it to the bottling bucket I would cold steep it and then add the filtered coffee to the boiled sugar water and let it cool down and sanitize the coffee at the same time. Then just pour into your bottling bucket.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #17
erikrocks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't really want to add the steeped coffee to the hot sugar water, as I think that would defeat the purpose of cold steeping.

What I'm saying is to boil the water, add the priming sugar. Then cool the solution and start the coffee cold steep, using the priming solution over night.

Has this been done? Is it effective?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

After reading through this post I can't logically think of a difference between cold brewing the coffee and adding the same coarse grind to secondary. In both instances you're steeping the coffee at room temp, thus avoiding the transfer of the coffee oils. Is the volume of liquid in secondary more likely to leech more of the oil out? That's the only reason I come up with why cold steeping in a small container and adding at bottling would yield better results than just cold steeping in secondary.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I have used the cold-brew method a few times with good results. I have also dome a coarse ground in the secondary the last two days and then keg/bottle.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I add 4 oz of ground coffee beans to a 5 gallon batch with 10 minutes left to go in the boil and get perfect coffee flavor, no real oil issues to contend with.