WTF is with this weather?!? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > WTF is with this weather?!?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 540 Times on 432 Posts

No snow for the last two days, then a storm comes in. Started snowing a few hours ago and we have several more inches on top of the foot we already got. I just watched the news and there are 70 MPH winds ALL AROUND US!

But, I walked the dog and there's just enough of a breeze to blow the snow in your face here, but that's it. We're like... an island in the middle of it all. 70 freaking miles per hour! They're reporting blizzard conditions both to the West and to the East of us!

It's 20 degrees and falling and we only have electric heat. I hope we don't lose power. I really, really hate not having an alternative heat source. I grew up with a wood stove and I want one.

Enough already!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
noremorse1
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Stevens Point, WI
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Weve been getting dumped on here in Tacoma. The wife and I are fine with it being the Upper Peninsula. However, the douches around here are freaking out and every where I look there is a wreck. I suppose if they plowed and didnt let the snow compact and turn into ice at night that would help.

Anyhow, we have a nice size pile of firewood to get us through any power outage we might encounter. That and lots of booze. We are headed to the Seahawks game tomorrow to root for Favre... should be interesting watching how people try to deal with the weather. I am sure a number of people will lack the forsight to bundle up and come in jeans, a hoodie, and tennies.
Kegged - Heart of Darkness Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottled - American IIPA, English IIPA

Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
holden
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sound like crazy weather there. When I lived in Seattle, we never got snow before January. And then it would only snow about an inch on one day and that would be it for the year.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Oh ya, well it was 80F last Sunday, fell to 35F in 90 minutes, Monday and Tuesday it iced (it doesn't snow here) with a high in the upper 20s. Warmed up during the week, to 75F earlier today, and right now it is 29F. I have worn flip-flops and a thick winter coat this week.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

We've had snow all goddamn day today, and now it's freezing rain. The windshield of the van has a beautiful crust of ice all over it. Much fun with the 8" of snow to boot.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
VatorMan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Maryland

Feels like we live in Michigan here in Maryland. This weather is f'n nuts.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
DFW
Liked 3326 Times on 3211 Posts

I love how they've (media) been calling this "Artic Blast" and freaking out.

Mind you, I'm just far enough south that we've just caught the edge of the storm.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
La Plata, MD
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

It's called Global warming, Better buy more carbon credits, there are pundits out there that need to make millions before their theory turns out to be a natural cycle.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Al Gore and his weather machine is to blame.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Nov 2006
St Louis MO
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbo View Post
It's called Global warming, Better buy more carbon credits, there are pundits out there that need to make millions before their theory turns out to be a natural cycle.
Second abnormally cold winter (and summer) in the midwest in a row now. A whopping 7 degrees right now. I can't remember the last time it was this cold in December.