Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Very New Beginner

Old 12-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #11
Donner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Three points:

1. You are already reading about the subject...one down.

2. Read John Palmer's "How to Brew" book. Version 1 is free to read on-line.

3. Stay away from boxed kits with liquid malt extract (LME). These brews will be darker than you anticipate. Go straight to Dry Malt Extract (DME) and read up on the Late Addition brewing technique.

Welcome moonshiner......I know, you're part of the corn/ethanol rip off...
I wont disagree with these, but i might suggest a slight variation of point 3. I'd suggest you get a kit, LME, DME, doesn't matter. Just brew some beer. For your first batch you should focus on the process and not worry so much about those areas a lot of people worry about here that i call 'judging guidelines.'

Things like color of the beer and other things are good to worry about when you have a firm sense of how to influence and control them (i.e. after a few brews). The experience of cracking open a beer you've taken from start to finish is pretty cool and very addicting. I think that is the first and most important experience. Brew first, worry about the other things later.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
felix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Here is a link,

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Preparation

Good pointer homebrewer 99

You have just made my day!

How could i not find this fabulous source of info before?

Come in beautiful Similkameen Valley and visit the winery i work at! www.orofinovineyards.com

Old 12-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3649 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

That's a good read. Read through it, and then go brew! There really is no substitute for just doing it.

Although, I would also recommend that once you get your equipment kit, you might read through the steps and PRACTICE with just water. You will likely find any spots that cause you trouble and can deal with them before you are actually brewing. Take notes, and avoid the trouble the next time you brew, which will be with real beer!

Of course, you will not boil over with just water, but no worries, everyone has a real boilover at least a couple of times! That's just part of the process!