ez cap gaskets not sealing...what am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
Hi folks, after the first time I opened a beer in my liter ez cap bottles and it was almost flat, I chalked it up to a faulty gasket or just bad luck.

But the other night when I opened two stouts in a row to find them hardly carbonated, I started to think it must be something I am doing, or not doing.

Now, I should say this....the stout was only in the bottle two weeks when I opened it. It may need longer right? But the wheat I opened a few weeks ago was in the bottle 3 months....same thing, almost flat.

My caps/gaskets have been wet when I bottle lately. could that be it?

thanks in advance.

ww

How long have you been using the current gaskets?
Have you ever flipped the gaskets?
Depending on the answers, I would suggest putting new ones on.
You should be able to get them from your lhbs or where ever you normally get your supplies. :mug:

If these are new, it could be your priming levels. What temp have you had them stored at? Do you remember how much sugar you used in your bottling solution?

Or it could be bad seals or sealed improperly... :(

thanks for the replies. My priming levels are consistent with what is recommended in How to Brew. I have also used kits with the same problem. The bottles are relatively new, only used twice. Gaskets that came with the bottles.

bottled and stored at about 68-70 degrees.

The only thing I can think of either my sterilant(starsan) is killing the yeast(I dont rinse), or the the CO2 is escaping because the gaskets are usually wet when I bottle.

are those possibilities?

thanks again.

Star San can not be the reason so we are down to a leak.

You might get a balloon and carefully stretch it over to top of the bottle. If it inflates, you have a leak. I've never had a problem with them but some folks had to tweak the metal wires so they would tighten down better.

I had the same problem with a stout and and english ale after about 3 weeks in the bottle. Went crazy trying to figure it out. After a few more weeks, they were all carbonated. I was just a little impatient and they have worked for several more batches.

The only thing I can think of either my sterilant(starsan) is killing the yeast(I dont rinse), or the the CO2 is escaping because the gaskets are usually wet when I bottle.

are those possibilities?

thanks again.

As stated, starsan isn't the culprit as I bottle the same way as you describe, even with the gaskets still wet. I wouldn't guess it's the gaskets as I've used my bottles numerous times and haven't found that to be the case. When I do get an odd bottle that is flat in an otherwise good batch I replace the gasket.

Back