To Lid or Not to Lid? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To Lid or Not to Lid?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Dec 2008
New York, NY
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey folks,
I've heard that boiling with the lid on the brewpot will raise dms levels and thus contribute to off flavors (particularly a "corny" flavor). So, I've never used my lid. Ever.
Are there times in the brew process when the lid can be an effective tool? For instance, I'm wondering about putting it on just after the last hop addition to trap aroma. Or, putting it on during the cooling process to keep out airborne yeasts or bacteria? (I'm an ice bath fella at this point. Haven't sprung for a wort chiller yet.)

Any other times when it's a useful tool?

thanks.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Once the boil is over put the lid on. You don't want bacteria getting into your cooling wort.

If you are doing extract, it's not as much of an issue because the extract has already been boiled. It's more of an issue with all grain brewing, especially with ligher kilned malts like Pilsner.

DMS (Dimethylsulfide) is produced from SMM when the wort is heated above about 140. When you boil, you get rid of it with the steam, but after the boil it is still produced and stays in the wort. This is one of the several reasons why you should cool your wort as quickly as possible.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Bryan, Texas
Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

The only times I use a lid anymore is to cover my mash tun. I NEVER use it when boiling, but when I used an ice bath I did put a lid on after it had stopped steaming.

As far as trapping aroma on the hops, someone else will have to answer that one, but I am thinking it won't do very much at all.

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
DrinksWellWithOthers

Recipes 

May 2008
MA
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I keep my lid on the kettle until it starts boiling then I leave it off for the entire boil. Once its done and the wort chiller is in, the sanitized lid goes back on.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Jack
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I also only use my lid to help bring my wort to the boil faster (not sure if this actually helps much, though, as I have an aluminum brew kettle).

Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
andyb0527

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Livonia, mi

I only use my lid when I am storing my kettle to keep stuff out of it. I also use a wort chiller so it only takes about 15 min for me to get the wort cooled to about 80 and in the primary. I would probably use the lid if I used an ice bath.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Dec 2008
New York, NY
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
DMS (Dimethylsulfide) is produced from SMM when the wort is heated above about 140.
What does SMM stand for? S-Methylmethionine?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Kansas City
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelgee2 View Post
What does SMM stand for? S-Methylmethionine?
Yeah, or single monthly mortality.