Sour Cider? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sour Cider?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
NeoN
Recipes 

Dec 2008

Hi guys, it was my first time making cider this past month, and I really dunno what went wrong, maybe you can help me out.

We purchased 6 gallons of organic apple cider from the store, no pasturization.
6-gallon carboy,
champagne yeast, 4 packets
yeast fermentation, couple of teaspoons,

let everything ferment, it was going like crazy, let it go for 2 weeks, cleaned out the sediment, let it ferment some more, 60 degree room temp the whole time, bubbler is working ok. Not sure where we went wrong.

please help,

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

May 2008
Oakland, California
Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

There's a few things here, imo, that might cause a "sour" taste. First, I noticed that you didn't use any camden tablets, so even though you pitched a yeast in, there might have been a bit of wild yeasts or other bugs still in there to cause a little "wildness" which sometimes comes through as sourness. The oother one, is that your cider is very young, and green cider can taste a bit "sour" (to me at least) also if it's very dry that could do it too, and you may want to look into some of the threads around here for sweetening ciders.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
will_cbe
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it a vinegar sour? If you don't like it, you can use it to cook with.
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

May 2008
Hawaii
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If it is only 2 to 3 weeks old, it will have some pretty off taste, (kerosene, gas, white lighting, etc.) time in secondary will fix that.
If it taste like vinegar, or something very sour, then you have a problem that a long time might fix. Note I said might.
As already recommend. If it still taste too sour after two months, start using it for cooking. The next time, clean, sanitize, use camden tablets the next time for 24 hours prior to pitching the yeast.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
pulykamell
Recipes 

Dec 2008

I vote "just wait" unless it's a strong (acetic) sourness. A crisp tartness at the end of the sip is usual for a young cider and will mellow with some age. Even so, even if it is vinegary, just wait. Many a brew destined for the sink was saved with a little patience. If you have Acetobacter in there, I'm not saying you'll salvage it, but you might be wrong about the vinegariness. Worse comes to worst, you've got some homemade apple cider vinegar, which is not a bad thing, either.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
HsnFat
Recipes 

Aug 2015

I just bottled my new batch. But after 4 or 5 day i tasted one of the bottles which taste sour and smells like apple.... Where I've done wrong ? By the way it has lots of dissolved co2 after only 4 days,,, should I wait or throw all out or just use it as good apple vinegar?

Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
MrFancyPlants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2015
Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts

Dry cider can be pretty sour. Can you add a splash of non fermented AJ or even cranberry juice to sweeten it back up?

Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
bernardsmith
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Saratoga Springs, NY
Liked 320 Times on 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPlants View Post
Dry cider can be pretty sour. Can you add a splash of non fermented AJ or even cranberry juice to sweeten it back up?
Sour... or bitter? Sour suggests that the apple cider has been contaminated with acetobacter - like vinegar. Bitter simply suggests that the cider is too acidic. The first cannot be helped by adding sweetener. the second can be or it can also be helped by reducing the TA by adding something alkaline (K -carbonate for example)

Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
pricelessbrewing
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Chicago, IL
Liked 279 Times on 231 Posts

I wouldn't describe it as sour or bitter, but rather dry and tart...
Scott Janish Hop Oils Calculator
Sean Terrill's Refractometer FG correction tool

Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
MarshmallowBlue
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Bethlehem, NH
Liked 245 Times on 189 Posts

I've made sour (lambic style) cider on purpose. It was quite good. But that's a different story.