How do these crappy liquor stores survive? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > How do these crappy liquor stores survive?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
King of the Swill
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Illinois

Let me vent on how crappy the liquor stores are by my home & work. I can not understand how these Sh*t holes stay in business. They are mom & pop type stores that have stacks of stuff all over the place, you feel like you will knock something down every time you turn around. The aisles are about three feet wide with no real organization of beer. At least DUST THE FREAKIN BOTTLES once in a while. That really makes me want to buy a bomber when there is an inch of dust on it--yea, fresh! Forget about a good selection unless you want a BMC, Corona is their idea of a quality import. Why is it that almost all retail has become dominated by corporate/franchise stores but the liquor store is still hugely local yocals? All I want to do is walk into a place and be able to decide between what type of Three Floyds, Bells, Dogfish, etc....too bad they have none. Sucks to be me.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Look at it this way.

The tall stacks block light exposure and the layer of dust indicates the bottles have been pre-cellared.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Sk84BeeR
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville,TN

I have three stores within 30min of me, and they all suck. basically everything you just described, except no beer. There is a strange law here that beer has to be a certain ABV to be sold in a liquor store, so only high-end stores carry beer. All the grocery stores here just stock regular BMC crap and ocassionally a decent brew. In order for me to get a REAL decent beer, i have to drive at least 30min or more. =( oh well.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

They survive selling to the 80% of people that only care about the ounces of alcohol per dollar.

You can always spot the bottom rung stores, they sell artificial vanilla flavoring by the quart.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
San Marcos, Texas, Texas
Liked 2185 Times on 764 Posts

I knew one that would loan people alcohol for spot over. You can take the $20 bottle but you owe them $25 now.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Bryan, Texas
Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
I knew one that would loan people alcohol for spot over. You can take the $20 bottle but you owe them $25 now.
That there looks like sound business practice to me

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 12-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Parker36
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
I iwsh there was some kind of beer lay-away program. Its like free cellaring, without the temptation to drink it now

Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
King of the Swill
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Illinois

I forgot to mention that the lady behind the counter was talking on the phone the whole time I was in there. When i went up and asked where the 22oz Bombers were, she directed me to the cooler that only had 40oz King Cobra, Old Style, & other crap. The store also had bait & tackle and a baseball card section, both looked as hap-hazard as the liquor section. Frustrating!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I iwsh there was some kind of beer lay-away program. Its like free cellaring, without the temptation to drink it now
Send all your cellerable beer to me. I'll be sure to hold them for ya'. And when you do decide you want one, I'll be sure to send the bottle back shiney, dust free, and new looking.

Ohhhh. Come on. You knew that was coming.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
King of the Swill
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
They survive selling to the 80% of people that only care about the ounces of alcohol per dollar.

You can always spot the bottom rung stores, they sell artificial vanilla flavoring by the quart.
I would think the mark-up on the BMC would be too low to make real money. Why the vanilla flavoring??