Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > My melomel project

Old 12-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
magickbottle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My melomel project

I took a break from 5 gallon batches in favor of starting several one gallon experimental batches.

first of all i dont measuer or anything, i just throw stuff together and taste it. It's way more fun!

Here's the recipe for 1 gallon:

38oz raw honey (very dark!)
3.5# of pears
1 pinaple
Pears and pinaples were put through the juicer
1 pound of brown sugar

I sulphited it yesterday and will be adding the yeast tonight. I will keep updates and add pictures.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by magickbottle View Post
first of all i dont measuer or anything,
Years, wisdom, experience....you'll figure out why we measure! Especially when you make that 1 perfact batch.....and it is the best of the best....and you can't remember what you did.... Made me very sad!

Welcome! Do keep us posted!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Years, wisdom, experience....you'll figure out why we measure! Especially when you make that 1 perfact batch.....and it is the best of the best....and you can't remember what you did...
You must have read my mind. I was thinking the same thing when I first read this post, but decided not to say it. I'm glad I'm not alone on this thought...

Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
zonchar
Recipes 

I dont' measure anything either. I do however keep a very detailed meadlog of everything i do. amount of this added, when they were added during the process, all the timings and anything weird that might've happened.
Then I'll write down my own impression of the mead and what comment is get from other local brewers. So if i decide to make the same thing again I'll have a very detailed record knowing exactly what i tasted like and what i did to get that result down to the brand names of the ingredients.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
hightest
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonchar View Post
I dont' measure anything either. I do however keep a very detailed meadlog of everything i do. amount of this added...
I'm somewhat confused by the apparent contradiction here. How does one not measure anything, and yet keep a detailed log that includes the amounts added..." Are you saying you "guesstimate" the ingredient amounts added?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I am assuming both of them don't measure SG's, as they both have pretty specific measurements as far as ingredients.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
magickbottle
Recipes 

correct i dont measuer SG, my taste decides when it's done and my ABV is decided by the following measurements

1. Not high enough
2. High enough
3. HOLY S***

I do however measuer ingrediants approximately.

I've made alot of great batches of wine over the years that i cant remember the recipe to, but typically i dont want to make the same thing twice anyway. I usually go to the grocery store with no plan and pick stuff that's on sale. I do keep an ingrediants log (when i remember to), and if something turns out spectacular (like my peach wine) i will repeat.

The only thing I've made in great amounts are the peach wine and apfelwine. I have a year old batch of apfelwine i should be bottling this weekend

I will also be switching to mason jars for bottling the wine. Cleaning bottles is a real pain, i can throw mason jars in the dishwasher. I can also throw the flled bottles back in the case and stack the cases of jars.

so my process may be pretty lack luster to most, but everyone loves my "Gypsy Juice Brewery" porductions. I'm young (21) and have been brewing for a couple of years. I am a broke college student looking for an alternative to buying cheap 40's of steel reserve.

Ive turned over quit a few parties with my brews. good times, thats what it's all about, right?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
magickbottle
Recipes 

Oh and i will be adding photos after the bottling...errr i mean canning? I will be spicing a portion of the wine with cloves and ginger and will include that recipe. this is an experiement and we'l see how it goes.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
hightest
Recipes 

So based on your clarification, when we read
Quote:
I dont' measure anything either...
it really means, "I don't measure any SGs, and I only approximate ingredient measurements..."

Sorry to belabor the issue, but it's really difficult to glean that interpretation from the original text...

Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
hightest
Recipes 

So based on your clarification, when we read
Quote:
I dont' measure anything either...
it really means, "I don't measure any SGs, and I only approximate ingredient measurements..."

Sorry to belabor the issue, but it's really difficult to glean that interpretation from the original text...