bamboo flooring - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > bamboo flooring

Old 12-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
monty73741
Recipes 

Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

WTF why is it so damm expensive. I thought it was green & it was renewable. then why is it 1.50 a square foot for 6mm size. I thought it was renewable & I know bamboo grows like a damm weed. So it should be cheap as hell.

sorry looking at flooring & am pissed at prices

Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7862 Times on 6394 Posts

Because the natives have to fight off the Kung-Fu Panda to harvest it.

FTW, IIRC, it's pretty soft stuff and while it looks great and is an easily renewable product it is not very scuff scratch resistant. YRMV & ICBW.

Do you have any rehab supply houses in your area? Often, you can find craploads of discontinued flooring products on the cheap. Selection is limited. I once found enough engineered laminate flooring to cover my entire (3k sqft) house for about $0.50 sqft. Product looked great but, the wife didn't like the color (Pecan, I think).

Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Bryan, Texas
Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Because it is trendy and cool, and has that "green" label... Never mind the petroleum products that go into harvesting, splitting, pressing, laminating, shipping, etc.

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 158 Times on 148 Posts

You're paying for harvesting, processing and shipping. When I looked at bamboo 10 years ago, it was $3-4 a square foot. Take a look at what any hardwood would cost.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
FTW, IIRC, it's pretty soft stuff and while it looks great and is an easily renewable product it is not very scuff scratch resistant. YRMV & ICBW.
I thought it was supposed to be super hard. I was in an 'eco-building' at the MN State Fair and they were touting it as a very durable hard flooring that is also used in cutting boards much like other hard woods. I'll have to check up on that, we are looking at new kitchen flooring and we were considering bamboo as well. Ash is relatively cheap up here so we were leaning that direction.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7862 Times on 6394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
I thought it was supposed to be super hard. I was in an 'eco-building' at the MN State Fair and they were touting it as a very durable hard flooring that is also used in cutting boards much like other hard woods. I'll have to check up on that, we are looking at new kitchen flooring and we were considering bamboo as well. Ash is relatively cheap up here so we were leaning that direction.
Maybe processes have changed. I haven't really looked into it for years. back when it was early in the market it was notorious for being soft and high maintenance.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Isnt 1.50 a sq ft cheap? I see hardwoods going for 6-7

Bamboo flooring is very soft and a PITA to put down because it has a tendency to split.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
farmbrewernw

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Richland, WA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think the new laminates are pretty hard I have a bamboo cutting board, it seems to withstand some vigorous chopping.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts

If you have access to a CostCo check out their flooring. I put it in my office and it's holding up great. The new stuff they have has the foam underlayment already attached. It's floating so no glue to deal with.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
If you have access to a CostCo check out their flooring. I put it in my office and it's holding up great. The new stuff they have has the foam underlayment already attached. It's floating so no glue to deal with.
I used their cheap Maple with the foam attached. I then used an Expensive laminate in another room. I like the Costco stuff 100X better. I will be doing the rest of the upstairs in that.

I glued mine together but not to the floor
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...