Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Malt extract & Recipe questions
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Malt extract & Recipe questions

My wife was going to buy me 3 kits from Morebeer for Christmas and the order was delayed. I live close to Grape and Granary in Ohio, but I believe that their beer kits come with canned Malt & DME vs 7lbs of Bulk LME with Morebeer. I want to put together 3 kits piecemeal and I am looking for some help.

Grape and Granary sells Briess LME in bulk (33#) for $69.00. Is this an okay LME? The kits that I had from Morebeer were the American Brown Ale, Porter and the Christmas Ale. Any recommendations on recipes and what type of LME should I get (light, amber, ?).

My favorite commercial brews are: anything Great Lakes (Edmund Fitzgerald is my favorite), Sierra Nevada Porter, I tried a few of the Octoberfest beers and liked most of them.

I know that this is a very vague request, but any help is appreciated.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

I've had good results from the Briess LME. That's all I've purchased from my LHBS and haven't had any issues. I don't know if there are better LMEs out there, but the Briess will make you a damn fine beer.

As far as LME choice is concerned, I typically use light LME to make up for fermentables not provided from my partial mash and get color from the specialty grains. Here is a recipe for a good porter I brewed a while back:

6 lbs Amber DME
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Roasted Barley
1.5 oz Fuggles @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles @ 10 minutes
Ferment with Wyeast Irish ALe Yeast for 8 days, bottle and condition for 2 weeks. Make sure you use DME, not LME. The LME will most likely give you the extract twang everyone keeps talking about.
The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter