Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When foam pushes through airlock...

Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
NZGirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When foam pushes through airlock...

Hi, this is my first post.

I prepared my first home brew yesterday evening (using Coopers Micro-Brew Kit).

This morning I found it happily bubbling away. Now I have foam pushing through the airlock. I added some water to it to try to flush it. More foam has pushed out. It seems to have nothing but foam in the airlock now.

Should I remove the airlock, clean it and put it back in? Or add more water to keep flushing it? Or just leave it alone?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Panzermann
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Remove and switch to a blow-off tube

Use about 4ft of tubing and place one end in the plastic stopper (that your airlock goes in) and put the opther in a cut off gallon jug with water in it. You just have some good fermentation going on, happens alot but it will calm down soon enough.

***No longer have time to keep up with all my batches***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Happens to all of us at one time or another, it means you have a very very active fermentation...

First off, pull the airlock off anc clean and re-sanitize it...stick it back in, then grab a hose (I found the the one from my bottling wand worked when I needed it) and rig up a blowoff tube..

Everything including your beer will be fine!!! Between that and dropping the rubber grommet into the bucket, means you have truly entered the brotherhood of the homebrewer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
mikefranciotti
Recipes 

Revvy is it at all possible water or whatever liquid you have as a filter risks getting sucked into the primary with it setup like that?

Finally dusted off the equipment after a year hiatus!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefranciotti View Post
Revvy is it at all possible water or whatever liquid you have as a filter risks getting sucked into the primary with it setup like that?

never have had a problem with my setup. The primary is always under positive pressure during fermentation and when it slows down just put the airlock back on.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Quote:
As springer said, it doesn't happen. It would take quite a bit of pressure to suck that water back into the fermenter. It's not really that different from an oversized airlock.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
mikefranciotti
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. Kinda figured that just wanted to confirm.

Springer great avatar!

Finally dusted off the equipment after a year hiatus!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
NZGirl
Recipes 

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies...

Will get a blow-off tube setup...

It's fermenting at 26 degrees celsius (78.8 degrees fahrenheit)... hopefully that will be ok.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

Springer great avatar!
Ya half the time nobody reads my posts... its a keeper