iPod & iPhone - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > iPod & iPhone

Old 12-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
monty73741
Recipes 

Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

am i th only one that think these are the most evil things ever. That is MS did the same thing, that they be in court with an anti trust law suit. The software takes over your PC. Itunes suck a big one.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I'm sure you arent the only one..but I love my iPod. What do you mean by "that is MS did the same thing"? Im assuming you meant, "IF Microsoft did the same thing", but i dont know what "same thing" means.

I don't think iTunes takes over your PC, but I guess I don't know. I have a MAC. If you install iTunes on a PC does it prevent other apps from running, like Windows Media Player?

Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
nealf
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Hiram, GA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Didn't Microsoft try to do that with the Microsoft Zune? Also some might say that Windows Media Player takes over your machine from the day you install windows... just a thought.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

I've been using iTunes for quite some time now, and it's never taken over my computer. I suppose, if you don't know how to set the preferences for file/.exe associations, and you didn't bother to check/uncheck the right boxes for which file types iTunes and quicktime would be associated with when you installed it, then you might have issues, but, that's just a user issue.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

User error.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Underwood, Iowa
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I don't think Itunes has taken over. As previously stated you simply have to pay attention to the file associations.
However I do not like the way Itunes works. I want to be able to make Folders and name them the way I want to. Then load them to my Ipod Touch and access them as I made them. Itunes only gives me the folders that "They" decided I want, Music, TVshows, Podcasts, etc. Then it automatically alphabetizes everything. If I load a video I want it at the top, first one on the list easy to find.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Can't you accomplish this with Playlists and Smartlists? And if i'm not mistaken you can sort your lists by varying types. Name, Date, Size, etc...

Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
uwjester

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the complaint is that itunes/quicktime has a lot of background processes that are running even when you don't have the GUI up. I can understand why that would piss someone off. That said, I'm a big fan of itunes/ipod. It has taken a lot of the workload off of setting up the search parameters in my mp3 library.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The only resource that runs while the GUI is not open is the iTunes helper. It 'listens' or detects a connection to the iPod and automatically launches iTunes when an iPod is connected. You could change the status of this service in Windows to Manual versus automatic and it would no longer run, but then iTunes wouldn't launch when an iPod was docked. You would have to open it manually.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
uwjester

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not a problem for me because I want itunes to listen for an ipod. I'm just saying that it is one of the things that may bother people. Sure you can turn it off, but most people don't get that right away. Apple probably should have made the default setting "off" until an ipod is detected and then ask the user.