Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Small batch Staggered nutrient additions

Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Staggered Nutrient Additions

I just read your BREWBOARD post Hightest, very informative indeed! I made a copy for reference. I also saw a post from a gentleman who was bubbling his mead using pure O2!.......This might be a new thread im thinking as Id like to hear the whys and hows of that technique!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Yeast need oxygen upfront to aid in reproduction and growth. Many people accomplish this by aerating or stirring the must for the first few days of fermentation. Pumping pure o2 through an aeration stone is the most efficient way of doing it. Once the bulk of the fermentation is complete and is less vigorous then aeration becomes a bad thing because it can cause oxidation.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger12pk View Post
Oh! I thank you for your input...I knew nothing of the practice until now...Its my opinion that knowledge is power. ... Im just math poor but I follow directions nicely...If I had a definite schedule and amount Id give it a go...
Thank you! I appreciate your willingness to at least entertain the notion, as opposed to those who would simply discount it. While that is their right, it disturbs me when they attempt to publically influence others who might benefit from it...

Regarding your being math challenged, I would suggest you d/l my mead spreadsheet (Excel). It is designed to be a 'plug & chug' calculator that does the work for you. Look at it, try a simple example like 14 pounds of honey & water to make a 5 gal batch. Then if you have more questions, start a new topic (How to use the....) and we can discuss the details there.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger12pk View Post
...I also saw a post from a gentleman who was bubbling his mead using pure O2!.......This might be a new thread im thinking as Id like to hear the whys and hows of that technique!
I typically diffuse pure oxygen into my meads higher gravity whose OG is near (or above) 1.130.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I can definitely attest to the benefits of Hightest's mead calculator. I got it a while ago when he posted it on another forum and I use it for everything. If nothing else I can get estimates for meads, wines, and ciders if you use it a bit creatively.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
Here, and on other brewing forums, my advocation of employing a staggered NAS has been met with various degrees of reluctance, doubt, and replies such as "it takes too much effort" or "it's too much trouble".
Hightest, I was in no way attempting to discredit or liable the process. I can say with my one use of it, it works. My problem is really just when I think I have the time to do it right, I end up being away from home for a couple of days or more.
Even then the process works very well and fermentation is much faster than the normal (just wait) method.
As I stated in another thread, I'm still learning the process and have made some "mistakes" also with it that you have helped me work through. I'll be updating that thread this weekend, hopefully that I reached the target SG to rack to secondary and finally forget about it while it clears.
Once again, thank you for your help and very informative post.

Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.