The "I Hate My Job" Thread/Rant - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The "I Hate My Job" Thread/Rant

Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
BrianTheBrewer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
San Diego CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I basically realized it today that I really do hate working where I work and what I do. I work in the ER at one of Boston's crazy Emergency Rooms. This place sux. I dont know why I even do this everyday. I thought I liked helping people...but NOOOOOOOOOO...most people suck, they are dumb and they dont need to be here. They come in with paper cuts, headaches, coughs, dumb dumb dumb $hit!!!

Ahhhh now I feel a little better...

Anyone else hate where they work??!! I sure hope so.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 12-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Depends on the day whether I hate my job but I doubt it sucks as bad as yours does when someone comes in with a stubbed toe and wastes your time.

OTOH, it's good you are there on those days when it really is an emergency. Even if you have to deal with 10 dumb sh*ts a day, you are there when that 1 Mom needs you to help her sick or hurt child.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts

A lot of people that I work with hate thier jobs (dont know why they are still there)... I personally love it, or else... well I would not be there. Id be somewhere else.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Doesn't Triage sort them out and make them wait 3 hours or so to see someone?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Doesn't Triage sort them out and make them wait 3 hours or so to see someone?
It does but 1) they don't always do the best of jobs at it and 2) eventually that stubbed toe gets in. Also, you never know with patients. Back in college I sat in the ER waiting room for over an hour crap'n out blood. Triage had my seated blood pressure in the normal range so without seeing the actual blood they just figured it was me blowing things out of proportion. That was until they got me in the back and did a standing BP and it was 60/20. I was mid-season of competition on the track team and they couldn't find a vein to get a blood sample. Turns out I had lost 3 pints of blood through an ulcer that had perforated the aorta. So triage isn't always affective. This was a major
hospital too, not some Emergi-Center walk-in place.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I can honestly say I do not really like my job overall. It's not a hard job for the pay, but I have no sense of accomplishment, and believe it or not really do get tired of sitting on my a$$ all day long. The only reason I really am here is the pay and benefits are good, and in less than four years I'll have a monthly retirement check.

I enjoy some aspects of what I do, but not enough to look forward to coming into work everyday.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I can honestly say I do not really like my job overall. It's not a hard job for the pay, but I have no sense of accomplishment, and believe it or not really do get tired of sitting on my a$$ all day long. The only reason I really am here is the pay and benefits are good, and in less than four years I'll have a monthly retirement check.

I enjoy some aspects of what I do, but not enough to look forward to coming into work everyday.
I like my job now, but there were times getting to this point where I debated staying in this field. If I was 4 years from retirement, I'd be looking forward to each day knowing it was one day closer to retirement.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Watertown, CT
Liked 3754 Times on 3586 Posts

Surely I understand hating your job, but in these times I am extremely grateful that I have a job.

Beats the alternative.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I like my job now, but there were times getting to this point where I debated staying in this field. If I was 4 years from retirement, I'd be looking forward to each day knowing it was one day closer to retirement.
I understand what you are saying. Realistically though, retiring from the military isn't going to be a true retirement for me, just a transition into a totally different world. In some aspects I'm a bit apprehensive because I've been doing pretty much the same thing, with the same culture for over 16 years now, transitioning to the civilian world is going to be a shock. Four years to go and I really have no idea what I want to do for the next 20 or so.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Surely I understand hating your job, but in these times I am extremely grateful that I have a job.

Beats the alternative.
Yep, I'll give you that.