Settling Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering how long it takes for all the sedemint left in your brew after moving it to a secondary would take to settle to bottom?

Is this the only reason to move it to the secondary? or is it to get a head start on maturing?

That would depend on a bunch of things... how long was it in the primary? What kind of beer is it? Did you use Irish moss? There's more, but you get the idea. Simple answer might be... leave it for at least a week, maybe 2 would be better. It serves two purposes, it does give it more time to clear and time, no matter where it's spent, works for making your brew better.

It is both a clearing tank and a bulk aging tank.

A week will give you pretty good clearing, more if the beer is chilled down.

If it's a big beer or one that tastes a bit harsh, a couple weeks in bulk will mellow it quite a bit. As for time, anywhere from 1 week to 6 months is good depending on the beer.

Its a Cascade Draught. Was in primary for 1 week exactly on a set temp of 27*

So I can chill this down in the secondary which will help to clear quicker?

Recommends 26* sure i was on 26 - 27*.

Seems to be fine... Clearing up nicely even after 2 days there is a lot of sediment at the bottom.

Recommends 26* sure i was on 26 - 27*.

Seems to be fine... Clearing up nicely even after 2 days there is a lot of sediment at the bottom.

You must be using different ale yeast than I use- I always go by the yeast's suggested temperature. Aside from a few Belgian strains, I don't know of any that do well (with taste) above about 73 degrees F (23C).

Even if the instructions ask you to ferment warmer, generally the ale will taste better at a lower-middle range of the yeast strain's optimum temperature. I ferment most of my ales at 62-64 F (16-18C) or so. Sometimes those higher temperatures give you an explosive fermentation, and then some fruitiness (esters) and maybe even some fusel alcohols (those "hot" flavors that can cause headaches).

Since it's done, you may want to cool it as you suggested to help it clear. Depending on which yeast strain you used, you may want to reduce it slowly to allow it to clean up a bit (if there are any off flavors) or reduce it quickly to clear it up if it's already finished tasting. I would put it at ale temperatures (16-20 C) first, to allow it to clean up any diacetyl produced or if there is any banana flavor for a week or two, then reduce it to a temperature in the 4C-6C range until it's clear (maybe two days or so).

Back