This morning one of the two buckets (one with 6 gallons in it) started foaming in the airlock. I pulled out the bung and it proceeded to spit 4 oz of yeast and beer onto the lid. I dropped in 12 foam control drops, and rigged a blowoff tube by cutting the cross from a 3pc airlock just in case. The other fermenter has 5.5 gallons in it so the krausen hadn't reached the airlock yet. Added foam control drops to that fermenter too. Hopefully that will be the end of the blowoff.
The partigyle beer is chugging away slowly at 65*F. I have the other fermenters at 68*F.
I ended up fly sparging everything because I realized pretty quickly the sparge water wouldn't even cover the grains for a batch sparge.
My efficiency to kettle on the big beer was 83%, so Chris and I ended up topping off the Maharaja to 12.5 gallons after the boil for a original gravity of 1.102. After loss to hops, trub, and shrinkage we had just over 11 gallons into the fermenters. If the FG also ends up high (we are hoping for close to 1.012) we can simply "cut" the beer by adding additional boiled water at bottling time; this beer is so *&@ hoppy we don't have to worry about diluting the hops. Hey, I won't complain if we end up with too many bottles!
The partigyle beer ended up with six gallons into the fermenter at 1.046. The combined efficiency of both beers works out to 96%. The spent grains gave up all their sugars!
All in all yesterday couldn't have gone better.
I'll post pics from the brew day, describe how I mashed this thing, and describe how we ranoff the partigyle beer later.