Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sweet mead yeast

Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Sweet mead yeast

Has anyone used Wyeat 4184 for Cider. It is a sweet mead yeast which is suppose to finish out with 3-4 % residual sugar. Has anyone who is looking for a sweeter cider had any luck with this or does it ferment all the way out when making cider? Just a thought

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

I used this in a Peach/Apple cider of mine, and I'd have to say it did end up pretty dry still, not like bone, but off-dry, it worked out well, but next time I'll use an ale yeast like nottingham instead. Another thing about is that the sweet mead yeast doesn't fllocuate worth a darn, it stayed cloudy for bloody ever.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
wreckinball9
Recipes 

true, it does leave a pretty cloudy cider. however, the sweet mead yeast is awesome for cider, leaving a lot of the sweet appley flavor behind. mine didnt finish dry, it finished at 1.010. i highly recommend it.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess I'll have to experiment and compare it to safale SO 4. Don't have much time left. The cider mill started their lst pressing today!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I guess I'll have to experiment and compare it to safale SO 4. Don't have much time left. The cider mill started their lst pressing today!
I have used WL sweetmead on my lest batch. It finished out dry FG around 1.000 not much difference between that and using their Champagne yeast.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 4184 is good if you can keep it from drying out. It ferments a little faster than S04. Last year I did a gallon of it, crashed at 1.010 and it was quite good. This year I did a keg batch. It dropped from 1.060 to 1.006 in 13 days. At that point it was very good but I wasnt able to cold crash it until the next day. That was a mistake because by that time it was 1.002 and a lot dryer. It also doesnt seem to crash as well as the S04 - it stayed stable for a while, but then dropped to 1.000 and currently tastes pretty raw. I'm hoping it will improve with age