Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #221
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just entered my first competition with this beer ( I entered it in the American Wheat 6D category) and scored a 40 !!!!
Woot... The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that I only placed 3rd.... IN MY CATEGORY!!! Stiff competition...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #222
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
I just entered my first competition with this beer ( I entered it in the American Wheat 6D category) and scored a 40 !!!!
Woot... The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that I only placed 3rd.... IN MY CATEGORY!!! Stiff competition...
Congratulations! Did you get notes from the judges? If so, what kinds of comments were given?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #223
JonGrafto
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview

Congratulations! Did you get notes from the judges? If so, what kinds of comments were given?
I haven't gotten the notes back yet. The awards ceremony is this weekend at the brew festival. I can pick up the score sheets and award then or they mail it out next week. Not sure of I can get to the festival though. Almost 2 hours away and me without a DD.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #224
JonGrafto
Recipes 

Just got my notes back from the competition. Overall I am happy with the feedback and the scores.

Here they are as followed:

1st judge

Aroma 10/12 - Medium-high citrus aroma up front. Grapefruit skin. Moderately-low fruity esters. No diacetyl or DMS

Appearance 3/3 - Rich gold color. Brilliant clarity. Off-white head pours full and lingers as a ring of small bubbles.

Flavor 16/20 - Medium-high citrus up front. Grainy malt follows. Balanced toward the hops with enough malt to balance. Medium-high bitterness. Finishes Dry.

Mouthfeel 4/5 - Medium-high carbonation keeps it lively. Medium-light body. Low alcohol warmth. Slightly creamy but still crisp. Not astringent.

Overall Impression 7/10 - Crisp and balanced. Refreshing beer. A touch more carbonation would help continued drinkability, but nice job overall. (I kegged this beer and just filled straight from my taps without the use of a beer-gun or counterpressure filler. That may have led to a loss in a little carbonation.)

Overall Score 40/50

2nd judge:

Aroma 10/12 - Strong citrus & piney hop aroma. Moderate pale malt aroma. Hop aroma is pleasant but a bit high for this style. No banana/clove.

Appearance 3/3 - Medium gold color with good clarity. Medium white head with fair retention.

Flavor 14/20 - Strong citrusy/piney hop flavor. Med-high hop bitterness. Med-low biscuity flavors as well as wheat character.

Mouthfeel 4/5 - Medium body with a slightly dry finish. Medium carbonation is a bit low for the style. Very slight warming.

Overall Impression 8/10 - Very pleasant beer. Tweak the hop profile down a bit. No off flavors. Good balance with the wheat character.

Overall Score: 39/50

Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #225
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this up a week before Christmas. Bottled two weeks ago, but couldn't wait. Tried it last night and... Wow! Great beer. Much more than I was expecting. This beer really does a great job of showcasing the hops. I think Amarillo may be my new favorite. Thanks for the recipe. Definitely going to brew again.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #226
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this in early January and put it in Babble Brew Off where it scored a 35 and took silver in American Wheat/Rye. Thanks for the great recipe.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #227
nullifidian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made this with el dorado instead of amarillo. This is my first time using el dorado hops, so i chose this recipe to really put the hop flavor on display. After 2 weeks in bottles, I tried my first today. Tremendous beer, although a bit green. Obviously, not gumballhead, but just as good.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #228
marvinsjunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We made this one 2 weeks ago. It was our first all-grain batch using BIAB. I can't remember if the recipe came from this thread, but the one I used called for 6 lbs white wheat, 5 lbs 2 row, and 1 lb caravienne. My dyslexia kicked in and I actually had 5 lbs of white wheat and 6 lbs of 2 row. Mash started at 153 and dropped to about 150 after 75 min. OG was dead nuts at 1.054. Used S04 dry yeast.

Curiously, took a gravity reading today before dry hopping and FG is 1.006. This attenuated a lot more than I expected. The gravity sample tasted good, but not surprisingly it had a lot of alcohol warmth. I don't have any software to easily calculate what OG and FG should have been with the extra 2 row. Do you guys think the FG was so low because of the extra 2 row, or was it more likely something to do with the mash temp/time?

Really looking forward to drinking this in a few weeks after DH and bottling. Thanks for the recipe and any help.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #229
dominic_mercier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've got 9.5 pounds of damn fine smelling grist in my office. Making this Sunday as my first BIAB/all grain venture. Really looking forward to it.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #230
Nargan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just made the "updated" extract version of this, today. REALLY looking forward to having a viable summer beer ready soon while I wait for my big IIPA to carbonate. I was shooting for an OG of 1.057 and hit 1.055 which is the closest I've been to hitting my target yet.