Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

Old 06-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #101
jarod7736
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemaagd View Post
I got some help from three floyds on this one. For your grain bill try 25% wheat, 5-10% aromatic, and the rest 2 row.
ok, i'm going to try this advice and brew this (hopefully this weekend)...

8lbs 2-row 66.7%
3lbs red wheat 25%
1lb caravienne 8.3%

same hop schedule, leaving out simcoe, because I can't find it.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #102
vitrael
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My bottles are about 10 days old. It's a little sweet up front, but the hop aroma is great and the middle-finish has a nice balanced wheat flavor. If I made again I would probably up the bittering slightly and tone down the caramel malts slightly--but then again I had weird temperatures and poor attenuation (was pretty drunk when I brewed it TBH).

Overall I'm really pleased and hope that with another week or two in the bottle it will get a bit puffier and the head retention will increase. Maybe even the sweetness will meld in a bit more. I don't want it to sit too long with those nice hop aromas in the batch.

Thanks for the recipe. A++++ will brew again.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #103
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I think that the sweetness is the number one thing that distinguishes it from an IPA. That and the mouthfeel just make this taste/feel so original, whereas I'm actually not that impressed by IPAs anymore.

To each his own!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #104
jarod7736
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just kegged mine tuesday. It tastes pretty good flat. It's cold crashing in the keezer right now, and carbing up. I'll be getting a 6er of gumballhead in a couple weeks, so i'll do some comparing then.

It's definitely not as sweet as the original recipe, and obviously not as wheaty since I did used 8lbs 2-row 66.7%, 3lbs red wheat 25%, and 1lb caravienne 8.3%. I dry hopped for 7 days with 2 oz of Amarillo.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #105
Justibone
Recipes 

Mine was a little sweeter, but it was in the finish.

The first thing to hit was hop aroma, then hop bitterness, and the finish was caramel-sweet. Good move putting it in a keg -- if the aroma fades you can dry hop it.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #106
jarod7736
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first version I made, last year, was according to the original recipe, and it really had a candied like sweetness, which I thought was great. This latest attempt was to get it a little closer to the actual Gumballhead. I think it's close, but i'll have to wait another couple weeks before I have bottles to compare it to.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #107
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This recipe is going to be my next brew. I'm going to go try this for my first Partial Mash based on the techniques from this article.
http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...artial-mashing

Some questions, thoughts, ramblings (please feel free to comment)

I'm wanting to shoot for a clone so I will back down the caravienne to 8oz. I'm going to go all Amarillo, no secondary I will dry hop in the keg.

I read on one of the other forums that some of the guys were using red wheat, anyone try that in place of the white wheat, or use both?

Thinking of doing a late addition on the extract and also using DME so the brew is lighter in color keeping it closer to GBH.

Thoughts on this malt build?
1lb Pale 2row
1lb White Wheat
1lb Red Wheat
8oz CaraVienne
4lbs DME Wheat

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #108
Justibone
Recipes 

At over 6 lbs. of final fermentables (assuming 70% efficiency), your beer is going to be 6%+ ABV. I'd say 3 lbs. of DME is plenty, if you have decent efficiency in your mash.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #109
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone
At over 6 lbs. of final fermentables (assuming 70% efficiency), your beer is going to be 6%+ ABV. I'd say 3 lbs. of DME is plenty, if you have decent efficiency in your mash.
Ah good point. I was putting the recipe in beersmith but wasn't paying attention to the gravity.

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #110
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
I think that the sweetness is the number one thing that distinguishes it from an IPA. That and the mouthfeel just make this taste/feel so original, whereas I'm actually not that impressed by IPAs anymore.

To each his own!
Bingo. This is why I love this recipe. It's so damn easy drinking and appeals to many a beer drinker. It has the hoppiness to draw in a craft beer drinker but it's light in color and balanced by the sweetness to make your average BMCer happy. Maybe it's a bit heavy for the lawnmower or your other summer projects but it's nice in a kayak on the river, taking in a baseball game, or sitting around a campfire.