Brewing up a batch of Robust Porter tomorrow.
Trying to use some stuff I have on hand, which was 6 pounds amber DME and Galena, Centenniel, and Cascade hops but got a couple things to supplement the recipe (1/2 # Chocolate Malt, 1/2# Black Malt).
Checked my recipe on tastybrew.com, as it stands right now it is:
- OG 1.056 (range for style 1.050 to 1.065)
- The SRM is 35 (30+ is recommended)
- ABV is 5.4 (4.6 to 6 is recommended)
Looks like color and ABV is adequate. Wouldn't mind a bit more alcohol.
Here are my questions:
1) Should I try to get the OG higher? I have bottling sugar and brown sugar here. Would adding some boost the OG and alcohol level? Would there be any drawbacks?
2) Where should I hop it in the range (25-45 IBU). Looking for balance--should I shoot for the middle or gauge it on the other levels/ingredients?