Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #261
shoshin
Shoshin Picobrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shoshin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 175
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default


I've been trying to decide whether to brew a blonde or an IIPA as my last beer before packing up to move the family cross-country. Both this and BMs centennial blonde have been on my 'to brew' short list, and I can't help but notice the similarity in grain bill between the two recipes. BM, have you ever brewed these two as a partigyle? Flananuts, it sounds like you have, do you two (or does anyone else) have any suggestions in formulating this as a partigyle? Are there enough sugars left in the mash after a reasonably efficient sparge to get a small beer? I know there are many variables here. I've done a partigyle on my system already, after heavily studying (esp. the Mosher tables), and for my system I was thinking of trying to run the 10 gallon tits up recipe as two 6 gallon recipes. Any thoughts? Many thanks to BM for sharing so manny great recipes
__________________
Primary: Cali Common
Secondary:
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Dark Mild, Columbus IPL (Cry Havoc)
Bottled:
-RIS
-Belgian Dubbel
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2013)
-jmo88's Holly Ale (2014)
-Olde Ale
-Cascadian Dark Ale
-Pumpkin Ale

Up Next: Spruce Red Ale, Aurora IPA
shoshin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #262
sloose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 180
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by shoshin
I've been trying to decide whether to brew a blonde or an IIPA as my last beer before packing up to move the family cross-country. Both this and BMs centennial blonde have been on my 'to brew' short list, and I can't help but notice the similarity in grain bill between the two recipes. BM, have you ever brewed these two as a partigyle? Flananuts, it sounds like you have, do you two (or does anyone else) have any suggestions in formulating this as a partigyle? Are there enough sugars left in the mash after a reasonably efficient sparge to get a small beer? I know there are many variables here. I've done a partigyle on my system already, after heavily studying (esp. the Mosher tables), and for my system I was thinking of trying to run the 10 gallon tits up recipe as two 6 gallon recipes. Any thoughts? Many thanks to BM for sharing so manny great recipes
A friend and I combined our spent mash during a brew party recently (he had a DIPA and I did a lil Sumpin Sumpin clone) and our efficiencies on the first and second runnings (both batch sparged) were so high that we could barely make a 5 gallon small beer. Roughly it was like 30lbs of mash we rinsed with another 6 gallons of hot water. We barely got enough for 5 gallon at 1.029 post boil. My friend tossed in some DME he had laying around and we had ourselves a small beer.

I suppose if you were happy with a 3 gallon batch or so you could make a damned awesome small beer from the 3rd runnings. I usually make starter wort with my 3/4th runnings :/
__________________
Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA
sloose is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #263
iam4ncsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Apex
Posts: 2
Default


Greetings all,
I'm going to make this in the next month and was wondering if anyone had tried a 11 gallon batch?
anything to watch out for?
iam4ncsu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #264
Ricand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ricand's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sebastopol
Posts: 722
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Got a gold for this recipe


Thanks BM, we got a gold medal at Sonoma Beervana last week for a beer we based on this recipe. Our first ever gold.
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	114612  
__________________
If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife
Ricand is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #265
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,346
Liked 725 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
Thanks BM, we got a gold medal at Sonoma Beervana last week for a beer we based on this recipe. Our first ever gold.
Sweet!!!
BierMuncher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #266
sgraham602
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sgraham602's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Matthews
Posts: 354
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default


this looks amazing. this might be next on my list!
__________________
On Tap
-Dry Stout
-Janets Brown Ale

Kegged


Fermenting
-Barliament Funkadelic

On Deck
-Dr. Philsner Pilsner
-Something Something Sour
sgraham602 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #267
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
StainlessBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 847
Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default


I can't wait to get some time and brew this again. Delicious!
__________________
Stainless Brewing LLC
Equipment, fittings, valves, tubing, accessories, kegging, custom fabrication and more.
Stainless is Painless at www.stainlessbrewing.com
StainlessBrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #268
BrewerMikey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Hi BierMuncher, hope you or other members can help me figure out what to do as I only have access to the following Hops:
Saaz
Magnum
Tettneng
Hallertau
Styrian Goldings.
This is all I can get my hands on right now. Can anyone suggest how I can made this amazing IIPA work with something from my Hop list.
Not good I know but this is all I can get for awhile.
BrewerMikey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #269
nedvalton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
 
nedvalton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: birmingham
Posts: 420
Liked 56 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerMikey View Post
Hi BierMuncher, hope you or other members can help me figure out what to do as I only have access to the following Hops:
Saaz
Magnum
Tettneng
Hallertau
Styrian Goldings.
This is all I can get my hands on right now. Can anyone suggest how I can made this amazing IIPA work with something from my Hop list.
Not good I know but this is all I can get for awhile.
Do you mind me asking why you are limited to those hops?
__________________
"i never colored in the lines, i guess thats why i dont follow recipes"
nedvalton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #270
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,346
Liked 725 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerMikey View Post
Hi BierMuncher, hope you or other members can help me figure out what to do as I only have access to the following Hops:
Saaz
Magnum
Tettneng
Hallertau
Styrian Goldings.
This is all I can get my hands on right now. Can anyone suggest how I can made this amazing IIPA work with something from my Hop list.
Not good I know but this is all I can get for awhile.
Hmmm. Germany. Slovenia. Czech Republic. I don't know. Without any American (citrus) hops in there I'm not sure you can get close. Put a gun to my head and I guess I'd use Magnum for bittering and then a bunch of Styrian and Hallertau for late additions. But....I would advise holding off until you can do the grain bill justice with some Cascade or Columbus hops.
BierMuncher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Bohemian Pilsner (Silver Medalist) nathan Pilsner 53 09-01-2015 11:22 PM
fermentation time....ipa vs. imperial ipa ColonelForbin Fermentation & Yeast 3 09-21-2009 01:07 AM
Imperial Stout...perfect time to try it. Matt Up North Recipes/Ingredients 5 04-03-2009 06:58 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS