Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hair in wine

Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
B-rad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hair in wine

Degassing my first island mist kit and see a hair floating in the carboy... Boooooooooooo.. Im definetly not going to dump it but... sure failure??

Old 12-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

probably not....plus with wine you have more of a safty zone buffer because its higher alcohol making it much harder for things to grow. Your almost deffinitly fine

Old 12-13-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
KENfromMI
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My dog would win a shedding contest if there was one and I have had a few hairs here and there with no adverse effects. I've even named my winery dog hair cellars with his picture on the labels. I've always felt it's better to drink a wine with a hair of a dog that you know then potentially drinking one from the store with a hair from someone you don't know, lol Dont sweat it, I'm sure the sulfites will take care of it if it is a problem, just fish it out before bottling unless you want to give it as a surprise to family or friends, Ken

Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah. I've had moments when I considered just giving my dog a Starsan bath since it's impossible to keep his hair from getting everyfrigginwhere. So far I've resisted the temptation...

Old 12-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
Degassing my first island mist kit and see a hair floating in the carboy... Boooooooooooo.. Im definetly not going to dump it but... sure failure??

LOL! I understand your fears but you'll be fine! A hair in a commercial product would be a disaster but most of us make our beverages of choice in far from sanitary conditions that would never pass a health inspection. This is the way wine, mead, and beer has been made for centuries.