Hobo wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWF

Reaction score
I've just put:
10 litres of pure fruit juice
4 kilograms of sugar
125 grams of yeast in a bleached out bin.

Is there any reason why this wouldnt work?
bin.jpg

No, I'm 23. Me and my mate thought it'd be a bit of a laugh to have a go at this, I have no idea how to go about it so we thought we'd wing it.

What'll happen 'cause I've put so much sugar in there?

There's exactly 10 litres of pure fruit juice.
exactly 4 kg of sugar with the 125 grams of yeast.

10 litres = 2.64172051 US gallons
4 kilograms = 8.81849049 pounds

if you really want to drink something like that, why would you not just go out and get one of these -- http://www.bumwine.com/ :confused:
most places, you can get a bottle for under $3...significantly cheaper than your "project"

Almost nothing, because very few yeasts can survive with that much sugar in the solution. Google "osmotic pressure". I suspect you'll be throwing out the mess in a few weeks. If your goal is a high ABV, you need to step ferment: juice first, then add 1/3 of the sugar as it ferments out. You also need to use something like 8L distiller's yeast. It won't taste like anything except cheap vodka with citric acid in it.

There's a head on it a foot high now. Should I unseal it and put a couple of litres of something in there?

Nate said:
Excellent answer. :)

He's the one moaning at me for being so basic and saying "if you're gonna brew something like that", deamonising me for not matching up to his high standards. Yet he's the one with the Bumwine URL.

Shop there often Lou? :cross:

GWF said:
There's a head on it a foot high now. Should I unseal it and put a couple of litres of something in there?

Will someone please answer this question? I dont wanna throw this out if it can be salvaged.

GWF said:
Will someone please answer this question? I dont wanna throw this out if it can be salvaged.

you can throw another gallon water in there.

but then again it's a "project" so just wait and see what happens! :drunk:

bootytrapper said:
you can throw another gallon water in there.

but then again it's a "project" so just wait and see what happens! :drunk:

Ok, I put a another 3 litres of water in there.
It's stinking the whole house up now though, seriously it stinks.

What temp is it fermenting at? It will tase like ass anyway but keep it cooler so the yeast doesn't impart foul flavors.
You do know that we will need a report on how this tastes.

What was the fruit juice? what yeast did you use?

homebrewer_99 said:
Why did my spelling of *******, spelled "F-O-R-K-I-N-G" as used in "******* over" or "giving up" something, like in this case money, become an asterix?:confused:

homebrewer_99 said:
It did it again...now, how is reading "*******" going to be interpreted? In a bad way I presume, but I was not spelling the word you thought I was using...what are you thinking...:confused:

Have you taken to talking to yourself Bill? I just hope you haven't been at the 'flip top bin gin' like these guys......:D

Hi

I havent posted for a while about this experiment but the booze i brewed was seriosuly kick ass :rockin: :ban: :rockin:

I'd estimate it to have been around 15% alcohol by volume and it didnt taste too bad either, me and my friends shared it and got drunk for a couple of evenings.

I've bought myself a propper brewing vessel now so I'm going to attempt something slightly more serious.

So ok, I've got a 5 gallon brewing vessel thing with a tap and two packets of yeast... Now, I've got no clue how much sugar this yeast can ferment out, and I've no idea how much water to use. It's gervin wine yeast No.1 Strain GV1.

Have any of you guys got any advice about what i should do with this yeast and brew bin?

I'm gonna have a go at brewing some wine based on your advice, then I'm gonna have a go at brewing some beer, maybe yorkshire bitter or something.

Thanks in advance you guys. :mug:

Oh yeah, one more thing too:

About the people who asked what i used for the previous experiment.
I used regular pure fruit juice, and bakers yeast :fro:

It turned out really well too, i think i put too much yeast in there though, the yeastyness was definitely noticeable.

GWF said:
Oh yeah, one more thing too:

About the people who asked what i used for the previous experiment.
I used regular pure fruit juice, and bakers yeast :fro:

It turned out really well too, i think i put too much yeast in there though, the yeastyness was definitely noticeable.

Yeast is a living, growing fungus, and it undergoes a few life stages for fermentation.

The first thing it will do is multiply until it has reached a critical mass for your mixture/vessel. After this growth phase is done, THEN the yeast will actually start to ferment the mixture.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter how much yeast you put in. It will multiply to "fill" the container as it's first order of business.

So, for your first batch, it was not the AMOUNT of yeast that caused the yeasty flavor... it was the TYPE of yeast (baker's yeast). Using an actual brewer's yeast will solve that problem.

For your second batch (with proper wine yeast), the answer to this question:

GWF said:
Now, I've got no clue how much sugar this yeast can ferment out

is: that depends on how much liquid you have dissolved the sugar in.

The yeast will ferment until the alcohol content of the solution actually becomes toxic for the yeast and they die. Literally, the yeast will drown in it's own excrement. (Pleasant thought, isn't it?)

That yeast could ferment 100 lbs of sugar, if you put that sugar into enough liquid.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Yeast is a living, growing fungus, and it undergoes a few life stages for fermentation.

The first thing it will do is multiply until it has reached a critical mass for your mixture/vessel. After this growth phase is done, THEN the yeast will actually start to ferment the mixture.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter how much yeast you put in. It will multiply to "fill" the container as it's first order of business.

Oh!! I didn't know that. So the more yeast one adds to the mixture, the quicker it will take for the process to complete because it doesn't take as long to reach critical mass.

Walker-san said:
So, for your first batch, it was not the AMOUNT of yeast that caused the yeasty flavor... it was the TYPE of yeast (baker's yeast). Using an actual brewer's yeast will solve that problem.

For your second batch (with proper wine yeast), the answer to this question:

is: that depends on how much liquid you have dissolved the sugar in.

The yeast will ferment until the alcohol content of the solution actually becomes toxic for the yeast and they die. Literally, the yeast will drown in it's own excrement. (Pleasant thought, isn't it?)

That yeast could ferment 100 lbs of sugar, if you put that sugar into enough liquid.

-walker

Thanks for that walker, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to type all that out for me. You've helped me alot.

Let's say I've got 20 litres of juice, and a packet of Gervin Wine Yeast No.1 Strain GV1 (It's a bordaux yeast aperantly) How much sugar should be in the mix in total, including the sugar I add and the sugar already contained in the fruit.

Do you have a Sugar/Water ratio chart I could look at?

Is there anything else you recomend I add too?
I know you guys add nutrients and all other kinds of stuff to your brews.

GWF said:
Oh!! I didn't know that. So the more yeast one adds to the mixture, the quicker it will take for the process to complete because it doesn't take as long to reach critical mass.
exactly. this time between pitching the yeast and the onset of fermentation is called the "lag". Pitching more yeast decreases the lag time, which not only gets things done earlier, but also helps with keeping the chance of off-flavors down (yeast produce some chemicals during the growth phase that can affect the flavor of the finished product).

GWF said:
Thanks for that walker, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to type all that out for me. You've helped me alot.
I'll send you a bill. :)

GWF said:
Let's say I've got 20 litres of juice, and a packet of Gervin Wine Yeast No.1 Strain GV1 (It's a bordaux yeast aperantly) How much sugar should be in the mix in total, including the sugar I add and the sugar already contained in the fruit.

Do you have a Sugar/Water ratio chart I could look at?

Is there anything else you recomend I add too?
I know you guys add nutrients and all other kinds of stuff to your brews.

I'm ducking out here. I don't make wine (just one kit underway now, so no thought went into it on my part). I am pretty much a beer guy.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I'm ducking out here. I don't make wine (just one kit underway now, so no thought went into it on my part). I am pretty much a beer guy.

-walker

I've decided to brew beer. I'm gonna start out with a kit or two, and then maybe I'll attempt my own mash.

I've just ordered:
Cooper's - Ginger Beer - 3.5%
Arkells GWR Strong Bitter - ~6%

Once these two have been brewed to perfection, can I leave the booze in my brewing vessel and just use the tap whenever I fancy a drink?
Everywhere says I HAVE to bottle the booze, but what's the point?

Well, for one, I think you'll want to rack it off of the crud in the bottom of the fermenter, mostly the yeasties and other wee little beasties and things that have sedimented out of your juice.

Generally you hear more about kegging (which is sorta what you're talking about) for beers; not sure how mass storage/distribution with wine.

GWF said:
Everywhere says I HAVE to bottle the booze, but what's the point?

The beer will be VERY lightly carbonated (read: flat) in the fermenter. If you like your beer flat, then feel free to draw and drink it from the fermenter.

If you like your beer carbonated, you'll need to prime and bottle, or keg and force carbonate.

-walker

Back