New Year's Eve is gonna blow - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > New Year's Eve is gonna blow

Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
jmulligan

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Odenton, MD
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

***WARNING*** Bitchy whining ahead...Proceed at your own risk.

I just found out that this year's planned trip with the future in-laws to see Grandma in Detroit is embarking on Dec. 31. It is official. This will be the most boring New Year's EVER. I figured I'd already had all the dullest New Year's times there were to have, but apparently I was wrong. I can already see it...

We'll set off on the trip from western MD around 9 am and not get to Detroit until 9 pm. Oh yes, HWMO's parents drive and manage to make a normally 8-hour trip take 12 hours. His mother is a dangerously slow driver, and doesn't like to let HWMO drive, but if she does, she peers over his shoulder and harasses him about his speed the whole way. She once snatched a banana right out of her husband's hand while he was driving because she thought it was too dangerous for him to eat and drive at the same time.

Then we'll spend some nice quiet time sitting on the couch, watching something like the Jim Lehrer hour on PBS (his family doesn't talk much, so yeah, let's drive hundreds of miles to sit quietly together and watch public television).

Then, IF I am lucky, we might have a champagne toast a midnight. Then we will all head off to bed - HWMO and I upstairs to the loft/attic where we sleep in two twin beds.

*sigh* So much for lots of good beer and friends or family (my family is fun at least) and New Year's na-na to end the night.

I'm not really THAT pissed, just not looking forward to general boringness of these visits, especially on a day that would otherwise have been fun. On the upside, I will finally have access to some of the excellent MI beers I have recently tasted thanks to my brother at MSU in East Lansing. And HWMO has already declared we'll smuggle something to nip into Grandma's house. Ugh, I feel 12 years old.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Two words, Whiplash Bash! Grandma will never be the same.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Gosassin

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lawrenceville, GA

yow, that sucks man! maybe give the in-laws and grandparent some dramamine or something to "help prevent motion sickness" while in the car, and later on the couch?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7698 Times on 6284 Posts

Wow!

There is NO WAY you could get me in a car with a neurotic person (MIL) like that.

No parties for me either, most likley I'll toast the new year to myself with a beer in each hand. My wife and son will certainly be asleep.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Can't you spike her milk like they did to BA Barracas on the A-Team?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Sounds like some serious amounts of Apfelwein is needed.

How long does it take to get to DeTroit? About 6 pints of Apfelwein. After the 4th, the trip will be over before you know it.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Oct 2007
southern mass
Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts

best of luck with the road trip. better times to come.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #8

I'll be performing down in Alexandria for First Night- same as I have for the past 3 years. If anyone wants to meet up for a pint, let me know!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Sounds like some serious amounts of Apfelwein is needed.

How long does it take to get to DeTroit? About 6 pints of Apfelwein. After the 4th, the trip will be over before you know it.
hehe you beat me to it. I was gonna say that Gramma needs to be introuced to apfelwein!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
jmulligan

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Odenton, MD
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

EdWort, I think you're right. And I think I've also realized the new use for my CamelPak...

So a few votes for slipping granny a little something to help her "rest"... "No, Grandma, it's just sparkling apple juice..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
I'll be performing down in Alexandria for First Night- same as I have for the past 3 years. If anyone wants to meet up for a pint, let me know!
Where are you performing and what do you perform?