hop from a cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might work. Most of the time hops are grown from root cuttings called rhizomes. Also, if a bine is buried after harvest, roots will form.

Yep the bines root easily when buried (still attached to the plant)--and sometimes when just touching the ground.
Have seen bines cut from plant after harvesting cones--near ground level--and stuck in a pot just continue to stay green and eventually, apparently, growing roots.

Also have seen cuttings in water root--but only about 1 out of 10 or more will root--dunno why/which ones, seems to be just a hit and/or miss thing.

You can grow hop plants from cuttings, though I believe splitting rhizomes is more common because it's much easier to get a viable plant that way. I tried taking cuttings from my hop plants this year and it was very hard keeping them alive long enough for them to take root. Of the 12 cuttings I tried only one survived.

You can grow hop plants from cuttings, though I believe splitting rhizomes is more common because it's much easier to get a viable plant that way. I tried taking cuttings from my hop plants this year and it was very hard keeping them alive long enough for them to take root. Of the 12 cuttings I tried only one survived.
Only one out of 12 sounds about right!

Rhizomes are about the only practical way to go--but then they're only available to buyers in March.

I guess anyone interested would otherwise consider other means of propagating just due to the general non-availability of rhizomes the rest of the year.

You would probably have the best results by layering (pegging sections the bines under soil in pots) or by cuttings using an aeroponic propagator with a rooting solution and ph adjusted water. It sounds fancy but you can get the parts to make one at Wal-Mart for about 20$

One of my cascade rhizomes was apparently dead. After I realized this and my other cascade was several feet tall I took some cuttings from it and buried the first 10 inches or so, leaving just a few inches sticking out of the ground. After a long time they finally started to grow. They only grew to a total of 18 inches or so before the winter hit, though. I guess I'll find out in the spring if they put down enough roots to survive. From what I understand, I was lucky to have both live and grow.

One of my cascade rhizomes was apparently dead. After I realized this and my other cascade was several feet tall I took some cuttings from it and buried the first 10 inches or so, leaving just a few inches sticking out of the ground. After a long time they finally started to grow. They only grew to a total of 18 inches or so before the winter hit, though. I guess I'll find out in the spring if they put down enough roots to survive. From what I understand, I was lucky to have both live and grow.

So...what happened?
:fro:

I have grown from cuttings and unless you have the black thumb of death they grow very well.

I've never cut one, but I've buried a runner a few times and it will grow roots and sprout where each leaf section is. Just dig a 1-2" deep furrow and lay the bine down in it and cover.

One of the tricks for rooting cuttings is only have two leaves and a small section of the bine. Put them in a bucket with some water in the shade. That will minimize the main problem of cuttings, which is transpiration from the leaves. Rooting hormone would not hurt, either.

Back