Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Early Birthday Present!

Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
Lost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Early Birthday Present!

So I went to the LHBS today to pickup the stuff for a batch and found a complete kegging setup w/2 ball lock cornys waiting on me courtesy of my GF! My birthday isn't for another month but she couldn't wait. Well, I didn't get to brew today since I was busy tinkering with the new setup.. damn, I'm so excited! I need to marry that girl! She even got me all the fixins for a cherry wheat. Anyhow, I don't really have any questions about it yet (I'm sure I will) I just wanted to share my excitment with y'all.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Does she have a sister? Oh wait I already have a SWMBO.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

No sister though you wouldn't be the first to ask.

I actually do have a question.. the kegs came pressurized and hold pressure perfectly.. they also came with new gaskets but the guys at the shop didn't think I needed to replace them since the kegs hold pressure. I don't want my first batch tasting like pepsi (from the smell of it that's what was in there previously). Should I soak the kegs with pbw and run that through the lines or do I need to dismantle them? If I do dismantle them then should I replace the gaskets?

I know rootbeer is supposed to be hard to get rid of, how about Pepsi?

Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
Igorstien

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would dismantle them and replace all of the o-rings. Probobly cost you about $5 each one, so It's well worth it. There are five orings in total. the big one around the cover, the two on the posts/locks and two under the posts where the tube go down (just unscrew the posts).

As for the Pepsi.....Two of the three soda kegs I have had Coke in them and that came out without any problems....1)I left them pressurized until I cleaned them so the Coke wouldn't dry out and 2) Lots of hot water to get rid of everything....Plus some oxy-clean....BUT NOT BLEACH....Stainless doesn't like that stuff.

IGOR

Fermenting: MT
Secondary #1: MT Secondary #2: MT
Conditioning: Nothing Drinking: Store bought
On Deck: Festa Brew Red Ale....As soon as I get my bucket back from storage.

All bottles are Guinness bottles, Plus Five Kegs!!!