Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ipa Whole Hop Extraction?

Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Gabe
It's a sickness!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ipa Whole Hop Extraction?

I have been Dry hopping an IPA for 2 weeks with 2oz of SAAZ whole hops and am now thinking I should have yoused pellet form. Has anyone had a hard time racking to a bottling bucket w/ this method? If so, howed did you do it? At the time I just dumped them in, now Im ready to bottle an kicking myself for not thinking ahead. Any help? cheers

Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
I have been Dry hopping an IPA for 2 weeks with 2oz of SAAZ whole hops and am now thinking I should have yoused pellet form. Has anyone had a hard time racking to a bottling bucket w/ this method? If so, howed did you do it? At the time I just dumped them in, now Im ready to bottle an kicking myself for not thinking ahead. Any help? cheers
No problems. I do it all the time. Do you have that little black thingamabob on the bottom of your racking cane? You might get some hop crap in there towards the end but your whole hops are floating right? Tip: once you start getting down to about 2-3" from the bottom, tilt your carboy about 5 degrees to get most the wort out.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Put a sock on it.! A sanitized nylon anklet to be exact. Let it bag so more area is filtering.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
No problems. I do it all the time. Do you have that little black thingamabob on the bottom of your racking cane? You might get some hop crap in there towards the end but your whole hops are floating right? Tip: once you start getting down to about 2-3" from the bottom, tilt your carboy about 5 degrees to get most the wort out.
What desertBrew said. I do it all the time, and I only use whole hops anymore. In fact, I'll be racking three dry hopped beers over the next week and a half - one tomorrow night!

I have an Auto-Siphon, which, IMHO, helps reduce any little stray leaves even further. But, even if/when they do enter your bottle, they'll fall to the bottom, same as your priming yeast.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info fellow HB's , I do have the black thingy on the end of my racking cane and I am allway's tillting the carboy to get maximum wort. So I'll just keep on doing what i have been.