Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much priming sugar?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
patbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much priming sugar?

I just bottled a batch of British Bitter yesterday and I used an extract kit.The final amout was 4.25 gallons. The kit said to add 5/8 of a cup of sugar to the beer at bottleing, but I made a mistake and added 7/8 of a cup to the beer after disolving it. I bottled in 22oz bottles. Can I expect some exploding bottles or just some extra carb in the beer? Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6031 Times on 4300 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrew View Post
I just bottled a batch of British Bitter yesterday and I used an extract kit.The final amout was 4.25 gallons. The kit said to add 5/8 of a cup of sugar to the beer at bottleing, but I made a mistake and added 7/8 of a cup to the beer after disolving it. I bottled in 22oz bottles. Can I expect some exploding bottles or just some extra carb in the beer? Thanks
Probably just some overcarbonated beer. With 7/8 cup in 4.25 gallons, though, it'll be VERY carbonated. I weigh my sugar, and usually use 4 ounces by weight for most styles for 5 gallons.

You may want to wait two weeks, and then stick one in the fridge overnight. If it's carbed up, I'd stick them all in the fridge, or at least in a cold place to hopefully inhibit further carbonation. Bitters tend to be of a lower carbonation style anyway, so you could have used 1/2 the sugar you did and it would have come out fine.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

How long was the beer fermenting, and did it reach the expected final gravity?

If it finished the above, I would not worry too much about bottle bombs, maybe a little over cabonation

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

next time use this, it will give you the correct carb level for all types of beer styles. just incase you want to be a little more true to the style.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
patbrew
Recipes 

The beer fermented for 13 days, I didnt have a hydrometer at the start to get the OG so I didnt take the FG, the bubbles stopped at the 7th or 8th day. Thanks for the advice, next time I'm using a scale. Hopefully it will still be great.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrew View Post
The beer fermented for 13 days, I didnt have a hydrometer at the start to get the OG so I didnt take the FG, the bubbles stopped at the 7th or 8th day. Thanks for the advice, next time I'm using a scale. Hopefully it will still be great.
next time maybe leave it in the primary for atleast 10, just my .02

Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
patbrew
Recipes 

UPDATE. The beer is great just a little over carb for the style but the flavor didn't suffer. Thanks for the help