Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Making a Rasberry Wheat?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Mainebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Making a Rasberry Wheat?

I have a wheat in the primary now and tuesday will be a week I usually put in a secondary after I get to my fg. With this wheat beer I have some rasberry extract in a small bottle to add, should this be done in the secondary or can I add it now and let it sit on the cake for 2 more weeks. It makes sense to rack it into the secondary to get some sort of mixing action but I am up for suggestions

Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just put it in your keg when you keg it and don't do a secondary at all.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In general you mix it right before bottling or kegging. So drop into your keg or bottling bucket. I dropped it in right with my priming sugar. racking on top of it should mix it, but I gently stir the bottling bucket just in case.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

+1 to adding flavored extract at the last possible time. Fruit aromas have a tendency to fade when given time.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

I have always used raspberries in the secondary for my Ras Ale. It's in my Recipe List. You can look at that to see how I do it.

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

I did a cherry wheat with extract a couple of months ago.

I mixed the extract with a little vodka (to "kill the germs") and dumped it into the keg about halfway through racking. I was worried I might get pure extract up the dip tube, so dumped it into the middle.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I believe the fruit extracts are alcohol based, so I wouldn't worry about sanitizing it. They're made to be added directly.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]