Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Strange Smell?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
madrean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strange Smell?

I started my first wine kit last week. So far, all seems well. Nice bubbling action.

I was wondering though, what should it smell like? I wouldn't exactly say it smells foul, but it's not exactly pleasant. It has a smell similar to when beer is fermenting, but of course different--- maybe just with a wine twist.

Just wondering what other ppl's experiences are.

BTW, man, the process overall is much more elaborate than beer making!!! I know it'll be worth it though!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Keln
Recipes 

smells like yeast and sour grapes to me.

#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrean
I started my first wine kit last week. So far, all seems well. Nice bubbling action.
Good Stuff! Sounding great already!

Quote:
I was wondering though, what should it smell like? I wouldn't exactly say it smells foul, but it's not exactly pleasant. It has a smell similar to when beer is fermenting, but of course different--- maybe just with a wine twist.
Yeasts give off many odours when fermenting. Loads of people report 'strange smells' from their airlocks. I wouldn't over worry. The most important thing to remember (apart from sanitizing well ) is that the yeast you use is in date, suitable for purpose (i.e. don't try a champagne yeast and expect a sweet result) and fermented out in the correct temp range for it. It'll be okay!

Quote:
BTW, man, the process overall is much more elaborate than beer making!!! I know it'll be worth it though!
Really? I think wine making is far less hassle than beer making. Maybe that's because i came from a background where my mother made wine ('country' stuff and kits) all the time when i was a kid so i just think of it as 'the norm'. You'll soon see it as second nature, it's not as elaborate as you think after a couple of goes!

Old 05-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
madrean
Recipes 

thx for the reply. well, to me, if you have 5 stages of "waiting" vs. 2 stages of waiting, it's more complex.

now, cooking beer is more demanding, but it's kinda fun, making a big mess and all.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
madrean
Recipes 

Hey Caplan (and others ),

Today I transferred from primary to secondary (after 7 days). To be honest, I didn't use a hydrometer, because frankly i think they are lousy (the cheap ones anyway) and also, i had good bubbling action.

anyway, i took a little sample and i think it tastes pretty good (even though it's only like 5-10% through the overall process).

my question is: is a slight sourness considering how young it is normal? i wouldn't say it's "sour" just that when i compare it to some Jacob's Creek, it's different (obviously i guess b/c it's not done).

i think it tastes REALLY good, especially for being so young and having such a long way to go. fermentation definitely took place b/c there is bookoos of alcohol i think.

sorry to ramble, just a little concerned overall, but not too much i guess.

thanks,
mark

Old 05-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, that sounds pretty normal. I find wines are a bit sour or maybe tart is the better descriptor, for at least a couple of months.

Wine is pretty easy to do... make sure you keep stirring the Co2 out of it so you don't get soda-pop wine, and just try not to rush things. Other than that, it's damn near foolproof.

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Keln
Recipes 

I dunno about fool-proof

My first wine was a Merlot kit wine. I did everything by the book and somehow still screwed it up. It came out with full alcohol content, but no body whatsoever. It tasted like watered down wine with a kick. I ended up having to add it to juice to make wine punch (which actually was quite good), but the wine couldn't stand on it's own. It was "thin".
#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Old 05-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
madrean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
I find wines are a bit sour or maybe tart is the better descriptor, for at least a couple of months.
pretty much sums up how i feel about it. it is definitely smooth, even for only being a week out. that in itself is very gratifying.

was wondering-- how do i "stir" while in a glass carboy? can i sterilize one of those electric drill paint stirring rods and use it?

i take it oxidation is not a concern w/ wine?

am i "stirring" it without the bung (in other words, very open to outside environment)?

thanks again