Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Valley Vintner & Brew order

Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
Pete08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Valley Vintner & Brew order

Just did an order with Valley Vintner and Brew in Eugene, OR. I had the opportunity to visit this hbs a month ago and bought some supplies. Pretty neat to see them brewing behind the store! Anyhow, I just ordered some specialty grains for upcoming brew sessions. As luck would have it, they still had some '06 Simcoe for $18/lb, so I added that as well. I bought 0.5lb/$10 when there. They were vac. packed and frozen, so I figured what the hey, smelled terrific when added to my bw! Thoughts on the purchase of these hops?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey Pete, I live about 40 miles south of Eugene. I have been buying my supplies at Valley Vintner & Brewer for about a year now. They seem to be pretty knowledgable and they do sell rhizomes to grow your own.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
winzerz
Recipes 

my EX wife lives in Eugene Or.

don't remind me j/k

Primary:

Other Primary: Hanks Hefe Weizen

Bottled: Scotish Ale 80/-

Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
tfries
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is a nice store. They are a few miles from where I work. They have a really nice selection of malt. I would say that they have about 80% of what I am looking for when ever I go in. The one kid Michael is a cool guy and treats me well when I go in there. Somehow, they had secured a great supply of hops this last year as you could go in and find a good supply of various hops. Also they never put restrictions on hop purchases. I did notice that they had specials of older hops and I was tempted.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's a couple of hbs in the Medford area. One is reasonably priced, but the proprietor is, how can I say this nicely, an a-hole (at least imho). Seems like he thinks he is doing you a favor by selling HIS wares to you??? The other place in Medford has a good selection of malts, grains, etc., and the proprietor is nice to deal with, but it is a bit pricey. Even with shipping, I think I might be ahead with this order, especially with the hops.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

shipping for me is around $14 for an order around $100. Which up until recently was the amount of gas I would of used driving up there.

I have been very pleased every time I have gone in. Although you have to remind them to put the bottling sugar in the kit, or they will forget.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Now that I think about it I bought a kit last time I was in there......Oh well I bought a couple lbs. of bottling sugar for .99 cents a lb.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
Natas
Recipes 

VV is a pretty good HBS. I've been going there for the past 13 years. even before Jason owned it. If I could only get them to carry Wyeast, i'd be pretty much set.
Oh, and if I could walk to their store, that would be cool too. I can walk to the Home Fermentor Center, but the selection can be pretty limited.