Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegerator or Keezer?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Kegerator or Keezer?

I need one or the other to serve my Corney's from. Is there a current model fridge that will hold 2 or 3 Ball Locks? What is the word on the small freezer's? I know they have a hinged top, but is that a plus or minus? I found one (freezer) at Lowes that looked like it would hold 3 kegs and a tank, for 168.00. Just not sure on the hinged top.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3656 Times on 2487 Posts
Likes Given: 2473

If you are going to want to go with more than 2 kegs, then I suggest either an old upright, or better yet, a small chest freezer. You can easily modify the freezer to work, and the only thing you'd need to use it is a temp controller.

Decide if you want the taps on the front (collar), or a tower on top. Advantages to both. With collar, you need to build a collar. With tower, you might not be able to open the freezer without it hitting the wall behind. Personally, I'd go with collar, even though I prefer the look of the tower. I think a frezer would be nice in that you dont' generally have to move one keg to work with another like you might with a fridge. Plus, routing the lines would likely be a bit easier too.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey RonRock,

You will probably get some pretty good info in the keg/bottling forum.

Here is the link, Bottling/Kegging - Home Brew Forums

I think alot has to do with the space you have to put either a Kegerator or Keezer. I have a freezer and love it!!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
GNBrews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A keezer wil be much more energy efficient albeit with an additional, initial up-front cost for the thermostat. The insulation tends to be thicker than a fridge, and you don't lose a good portion of your cooled air when lifting the lid.

On the other hand, you do have to lift full kegs up and over the edge of the keezer.