Longest apfelwein ferment time? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Longest apfelwein ferment time?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Toppers
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have 5 gallons going at 58F for experimental purposes. It's still bubbling away after 2 months, and I just took a hydro reading: 1.030

Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Milton, De
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

lower temp= longer time. It shouldnt matter though- its not like there are alot of lees that drop. Maybe 2 more months to go?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 8244 Times on 6706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
I have 5 gallons going at 58F for experimental purposes. It's still bubbling away after 2 months, and I just took a hydro reading: 1.030
Thanks for the numbers on this. I'm doing a batch right now that's probably gonna ferment between 55-62 just do to the cold house temps this time of year (unless Brew_MU turns on his heater). I was expecting it to take quite a bit longer...

Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
199q
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Chico CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

most wine makers and expensive wineries vary the temp they ferment cold in the beginning and raise the temps as it goes along, even up to 80 deg for a short time. the varying temp offers a much bigger profile. however the hotter ferment temps can destroy the more fruity flavors or "jammy" as most call it.

if that helps any maybe... haha just trying to help.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I just posted a thread about a batch that I left for 70 days in primary. It fermented at about 64 for 3 weeks then after it cleared I let it warm up to 71. It now has a bit of a vomit sourness on the back of the palate. Not very pleasant, but I'm giving it time in the cold before I judge.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
bkvail
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Skagit County, WA

I have some that has been fermenting a month - it is now clear and no more positive pressure in the airlock. I'm guessing it's done and can be stabilized and backsweetened now? and bottled soon for aging?

secondary:
3 gallons strawberry lemon
1 gallon JAOM
1 gallon lime
1 gallon apfelwein

Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvail View Post
I have some that has been fermenting a month - it is now clear and no more positive pressure in the airlock. I'm guessing it's done and can be stabilized and backsweetened now? and bottled soon for aging?
My rule from now in is going to be 5 weeks. I also think I'm going to try just using apple juice without any added sugar.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
bkvail
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Skagit County, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
My rule from now in is going to be 5 weeks. I also think I'm going to try just using apple juice without any added sugar.

that would make it similar only lower alcohol content, correct?

secondary:
3 gallons strawberry lemon
1 gallon JAOM
1 gallon lime
1 gallon apfelwein

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
eschatz

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Terre Haute, IN
Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts

I just finished a batch that was 7 months old.

Smooth and fine as Apfelwein!!!!!!

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvail View Post
that would make it similar only lower alcohol content, correct?
Yep. And less complications. I don't know if I have the juice extract to blame or what, but I'm thinking I'd like apfelwein better if it were more of a session drink.